Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is this a musket ball?

Found this in the dog park. Rings up as 24 on the Xterra 705 with 18.75 elliptical. Weighs 12 grams and is not magnetic. I did not scratch it to see if it is lead. Could it be a musket ball?

I found the same thing in my back yard several years ago.Thinking it's what they used for firing cannon guns.

Looks like you have a .50 cal round ball for a muzzle loader. I have a 50 cal Hawkens that uses a .490 " dia. round ball. Using a 0.10 or 0.15" patch to seal the bore. They weigh in at 11.5 grams to 12.25, I cast my own from pure lead.
From the ruler there it looks to be about that size . From the lack of patina on it I would say not very old.
If you have some calipers or micrometer, measure it to get exact size.

copper kidd said:
Looks like you have a .50 cal round ball for a muzzle loader. I have a 50 cal Hawkens that uses a .490 " dia. round ball. Using a 0.10 or 0.15" patch to seal the bore. They weigh in at 11.5 grams to 12.25, I cast my own from pure lead.
From the ruler there it looks to be about that size . From the lack of patina on it I would say not very old.
If you have some calipers or micrometer, measure it to get exact size.

Ok , I measured it today with micrometer. It is 12mm. Real close to that .490 " 50 cal. You were right. Can you take a guess at the age?

With the lack of the white patina on it, I don't think its very old. It may be 10 to 50 years old. It is really hard to say how old it is. If you look at the Civil War forum you'll see bullets that have a white looking crust or patina on them that come from that era. I don't know for fact, how long it takes lead in the ground to turn white. I suppose it depends on the soil conditions as well. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this matter can chime in and enlighten us.
I have dug bullets from where I used to shoot as a kid and they are not white nor thinking of it, and those bullets have been there for close to 50 years. I'm sorry I cant be of more help. :unsure: