Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

is this normal

clad king

i recently got a teknetics delta 4000 and doing some tests with coins now everything reads good but on a nickle when i bury it at a few inches it reads as a quarter with a high tone and when i take it back out of the hole it reads as a nickle again theres no other metal in the hole i just tried it again and buried the nickle at like like 3 inches and it reads good but when i go to like 4 inches or more it reads at a quarter again Weird! any ideas thanks clad king

i was told its normal operation that a fisher or teknetics will up average deeper nickles i guess you learn new things everyday

seems extreme.
A nickel on my Tek Mk-1st at 5" reads correct; but hit a 9" IH penny I.D. at and old site and it was a Jefferson.
from the late '50's. Generally at that site targets at that depth are very old (but there was fill dirt in places.) I wonder if the fill was at a large variance in mineral vs
what was already there, and affected the ground balace. (10" dimes will read slightly below dead center quarter on the analog meter.)

I live across the pond so cannot say what your coinage comes up on your detector,but as a general rule i for the most part go by audio its far more reliable than what any screen will tell you and also at much greater depth as well.

Would never make a dig/no dig decision solely what a screen tells you,in the UK most of our desired silver hammered coins dont have a consistent say silver content or even gold when related too gold coinage or even artefacts and often can show up on TID on the screen as say silver foil or bottle tops,so this is the main reason why i dig everything that gives a decent 'audio' signal and never just rely on what a screen tells me,of course if a target is deep be it a coin or artefact and it cannot trigger the TID or even the audio channel then this is why its also wise to listen for the very whisper low audio threshold tone as that can indicate a deep possible desirable signal that you would have left in the ground.

Of course we all detect different and use a detector differently as well,so i can only comment on how i do it.

i was pretty much guessing those inches so today i went out and buried a nickle at 5 inches measured and it picked it up good

I never touched a Delta but I do have a few thousand hours standing behind a close cousin the great F2 and a Fisher F70.
Around iron both of mine up averaged around iron.
It could be iron nails and other pieces in close proximity or it could be iron that you didn't know was there sitting below the bottom of your hole.

Yeas ago I got a dead on solid zincoln signal on the F2 but I dug a nickel that was the correct number when out of the hole.
There was nothing in the hole with the coin and for years I wondered what happened until I learned about up averaging.
I have seen this effect dozens more times in all kinds of situations since I learned to recognize this.
A nickel up averaging to a quarter is very unusual, however.

If you buried that nickel twice in the same place try doing it again at an area somewhere else.
If you get normal behavior you had big iron or something else messing with you at that first spot, if if that nickel behaves the same everywhere you might have a different issue.

and not just any First Texas....you want to compare brands go to Comparisons, or Metal detecting forums--am undecided as to
whether it stays.......
(clean out your PM's)

vlad said:
and not just any First Texas....you want to compare brands go to Comparisons, or Metal detecting forums--am undecided as to
whether it stays.......
(clean out your PM's)

Ok, it's fine.
Edit if you want or whatever.

I just have so much to share and have absolutely no filters.
Always been an issue for me.
:)