Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Isn't the T2 frequency rather high for silver coins?

Mike T

It seems that the T2 is perfect Relic detector for low conductors like brass, lead, copper and gold. But wouldn't a lower frequency detector like the Gamma or Omega be a better choice if you were looking mostly for silver coins?

Old school says lower the better......... I think the Micro processor is allowing a higher low range to work on coins......... Many units in the 13, 14 range now..

I never had any problem hitting Silver coins with the T2.... or the F75 series both are 13KHZ...........

I always thought 13Khz was a compromise between say 3Khz for silver and 20Khz for gold. I've been toying with the idea of getting an Xterra and outfitting it with a Coiltek 6"DD coil and hitting the places that chased everyone else out.

I use to think lower freq. was better for silver and higher freq was better for gold...
But I have found silver with a 20 khz unit,,silver and gold with a 15 khz unit,, silver and gold with a 6.25 khz unit...
Have a friend that uses a old 50 khz unit and he has found lots of silver and some gold with it,,and its a late 70's unit...
But for tiny gold,,then a higher freq unit is better....
I have heard the T-2 is good for coins because of the good iron disc,,as long as there are no EMI problems...
Someone posted,,,was a Fisher Goldstrike good for Relics,,, the answer was, no, because of the like 30 khz freq,,,,it would pick up tiny rust...

Now,, I don't know what to think,, all units find stuff....

Use what you know....
Bj

My T2 seems to find everything I swing it over and it's light . Since getting the T2 I 've been able to sell off a few of my other detectors as the T2 did everything they did and it's 11" and 5" coils are all I need to keep me happy .

In a perfect air-test world, it'd be low frequencies for most USA coins and high frequencies for everything else. In a perfect world there would be no trash targets to contend with, so you could search in autotune all metals mode and dig everything. As it happens, most folks who are searching for coins are searching in discrimination mode because there is so much trash. And, those who have searched the same area before were probably searching in discrimination mode also for the same reasons.

With discrimination mode you get "masking" and also the influence of iron minerals in the ground. The problem is no longer how to detect a deep silver coin, but how to detect coins even at moderate depth without having to dig every little bit of trash to hit the coins. And that's a task that the higher frequencies favor.

Our CZ3d is usually the machine of choice for US coins in areas where there is little trash (esp. iron trash.) For trashy areas our higher frequency machines such as the T2 and G2 are usually more productive.

--Dave J.

Thanks Mr. J.,

I know the G2 made me go "what?" when it detected a deep silver dime...seemed like it shouldn't have been able to do that! Now, a deep nickel, yep. A deep hunk of lead...yep. A gold ring...for sure. Deep silver just flew against what I thought I knew about frequencies and what works! Thanks for keeping us baffled by making stuff that bucks normality.

-Mark

Hi Mark ! :)

When the technical experts design a metal detector, I'm thinking that the exact manner in which the return signal is processed is just as important as picking the right frequency for the intended targets. And different results can be had with two different detector brands that share the same frequency, depending on exactly how the return signals are processed. So we have to keep that in mind when comparing old axioms to new school technologies.

ToddB64