Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It pays to watch the competition……

Ronstar

Even though the temps were in the mid 40s and winds in the 30s, ya go when the urge is there. Right? Dressed up like the Michelin Man and took off. There is a large multi acre “ball field complex” across town. Soccer and small kid baseball fields during the spring and summer and a damned dog park in the winter and early spring (makes sliding into 3rd a whole new experience 😂). When I arrived I noticed a man in his 60s swinging a detector on the other end of the field, the bright yellow color tells me its probably a Garrett.
I sat down on a bleacher and decided to watch him for a few minutes. First thing I noticed was his walking speed was way to fast and the outside edge of the swing radius had the coil about a foot off the ground and at a 30ish degree angle. Occasionally he would stop abruptly, backup, swing a couple times, and then bend over with a hand trowel and dig. He would check the hole with an orange colored “Garrett carrot” style pinpointer, may or may not put something in his pocket, put the plug back in and keep going. OK, I’m pretty sure he’s new and just has it for something to do.
I started his direction slowly but he turned the other way and left. I eventually made it to where he had been wandering about.
I located a plug and scanned it, had a dime hit about 2” from his edge and recovered it from 4”. Moved on, had a solid hit for a quarter or maybe large next to another plug. I dug, two quarters stacked on each other at 6”. Ok, game on! Ended up with 95 cents from the area he had worked.

I’m glad I noticed him first off, glad I sat down and observed him second, glad I rechecked the area he was at thirdly. All total I walked away today with six quarters, ten dimes, two nickels, and what at first I thought was hopefully a gold ring (nope, a brooch of some type with green stones. Junk jewelry at its finest! Hit as low foil numbers).
Always watch the competition.

Attachments

• 5CCC27EB-9A30-4FFE-9FFA-EC3D34030BD7.jpeg
    5CCC27EB-9A30-4FFE-9FFA-EC3D34030BD7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
Quarters and dimes are good. (y)
Its not only new timers to the hobby that have poor coil control, hunt to fast and don't have the art of pin pointing. I'm surprised at times some swingers find anything.
Spring is in the air!!!!!!! HH jim tn

Quarters and dimes are good. (y)
Its not only new timers to the hobby that have poor coil control, hunt to fast and don't have the art of pin pointing. I'm surprised at times some swingers find anything.
Spring is in the air!!!!!!! HH jim tn
Add to that a coin standing straight up - even I miss the target center and dam coin is on the side of the hole. So a new person might lose the signal and walk on

Seen many detectorists like that geezer........running over the fields swinging their detector like a tennis raquet.A friend of mine approached such a fellow on the beach and tried to tell him that if he slowed down and kept his coil flat to the sand he would have a better chance at locating good targets.........he just got a lot of abuse back.Oh well,more goodies for us.