Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It was a gold coin for a nano second….

Ronstar

Finally, FINALLY, I got a couple hours to get out. I had volunteered to mentor a 13 year old who got a Garrett Ace250 over the summer, I worked with his Dad at the Sheriff’s Office and Jack was in my wife’s 2nd grade class a few years ago. Off we went!
Decided to go the big play/ball fields on campus. Flat, no one around, and most likely I could get him a few coins so he knew what his detector was trying to tell him. His first coin? A stinkin zincoln! But he was happy. I walked with him pointing out techniques and how to cut proper plugs etc, he was getting it rather quickly but he kept finding zinc and small canslaw. I fired up the Legend and decided to see if I could locate any nickels, dimes, quarters, etc. Hit on a dime and called him over and said find it, dig it, and replace your plug. Good job!!!! Now keep in mind…. He only had a detector and no accessories.
We split up but I stayed close, when he would find something he would come over and borrow my hand trowel and Garrett carrot and then return them. In about 30 minutes he found and recovered one quarter and two more dimes along with a bunch of small square lead pieces (more on that later).
Finally, I hit on a solid nickel number and called him over but he was busy digging his find so I decided to get it as it was showing deep. Well, at 6” deep I see round and gold! First thought was foreign as I could see a little bit of a female face. Holy Geez!!!!
I carefully picked it out and it was a solid gold color with zero discoloration and no apparent scratches etc. Could it be? Did I just find a gold coin? Nano second later, NOPE. It appears to be a religious pendant or token. When I flipped it over there were scrolled initials “SL” and engraved on it 4-8-87. I could feel a rough spot top dead center on the disc so thinking it broke off of a chain or necklace. I may get it checked by a jeweler just to be on the safe side but I’m a touch skeptical of it being brass as no discoloration as I’m used to seeing in older in the ground brass recoveries.
The lead pieces were solved by jkline… looks like small pieces of lead put in a vice and “squished” and repurposed for fishing weights. Most likely someone learning how to cast out on the field. They showed as solid 39-40.
Funny how I went from poor to rich back to poor again in a flash. Part of the game I guess……
Jack had fun and now wants a hand held pinpointer, much faster than looking by hand he said 😂

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpeg
    IMG_1643.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1644.jpeg
    IMG_1644.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
  • 72154451684__8A3456C5-5BC1-47BB-8534-771A33A53C6F.jpeg
    72154451684__8A3456C5-5BC1-47BB-8534-771A33A53C6F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • Resized_20231112_211755.jpeg
    Resized_20231112_211755.jpeg
    610.4 KB · Views: 128
That was very kind of you to mentor the young man! At first glance I may have 💩 myself when I saw that gold colored pendant 😂😂
You think Jack is hooked on the hobby?

I do. School lets out at 2:15 on Fridays and he asked if I was busy…..😂😂
Altho he is very slow and methodical I was impressed how fast he took direction. I think he will get a few years out of that Garrett as well.

Sounds like Santa is delivering a pinpointer 🤭🤣

“Jack had fun and now wants a hand held pinpointer”

I was hunting grass strips one night in an old paper mill town. Pitch black that night popped out a gold looking coin. I was having a difficult time trying to lower my blood pressure. Got under a street light then realized it was a Canadian coin. I know the feeling!!! Always fun to introduce the hobby too the younger generation.. hhricknmi

Nice job my brother in laws son wants to detect so I've taken him now he needs a detector!
Mark

Finally, FINALLY, I got a couple hours to get out. I had volunteered to mentor a 13 year old who got a Garrett Ace250 over the summer, I worked with his Dad at the Sheriff’s Office and Jack was in my wife’s 2nd grade class a few years ago. Off we went!
Decided to go the big play/ball fields on campus. Flat, no one around, and most likely I could get him a few coins so he knew what his detector was trying to tell him. His first coin? A stinkin zincoln! But he was happy. I walked with him pointing out techniques and how to cut proper plugs etc, he was getting it rather quickly but he kept finding zinc and small canslaw. I fired up the Legend and decided to see if I could locate any nickels, dimes, quarters, etc. Hit on a dime and called him over and said find it, dig it, and replace your plug. Good job!!!! Now keep in mind…. He only had a detector and no accessories.
We split up but I stayed close, when he would find something he would come over and borrow my hand trowel and Garrett carrot and then return them. In about 30 minutes he found and recovered one quarter and two more dimes along with a bunch of small square lead pieces (more on that later).
Finally, I hit on a solid nickel number and called him over but he was busy digging his find so I decided to get it as it was showing deep. Well, at 6” deep I see round and gold! First thought was foreign as I could see a little bit of a female face. Holy Geez!!!!
I carefully picked it out and it was a solid gold color with zero discoloration and no apparent scratches etc. Could it be? Did I just find a gold coin? Nano second later, NOPE. It appears to be a religious pendant or token. When I flipped it over there were scrolled initials “SL” and engraved on it 4-8-87. I could feel a rough spot top dead center on the disc so thinking it broke off of a chain or necklace. I may get it checked by a jeweler just to be on the safe side but I’m a touch skeptical of it being brass as no discoloration as I’m used to seeing in older in the ground brass recoveries.
The lead pieces were solved by jkline… looks like small pieces of lead put in a vice and “squished” and repurposed for fishing weights. Most likely someone learning how to cast out on the field. They showed as solid 39-40.
Funny how I went from poor to rich back to poor again in a flash. Part of the game I guess……
Jack had fun and now wants a hand held pinpointer, much faster than looking by hand he said 😂
We all feel your pain. So many ‘looks like gold’ wanna bee’s !!
Even stuff marked as 14k can be fake. At least it was a heart stopper for a few seconds !!
I’m sure your new partner had a great time. A good start to a fascinating hobby.

HH
Donna(NJ)

That would have made any heart skip a beat, just not fair. I never have found a gold coin, but I’ll keep looking. Hope one comes your way soon! Still a good find.

Check updated post under new heading! It is gold!!!