Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It's becoming a lot more like work

Okierick

I used to enjoy metal detecting. Long before discrimination, each beep was like Christmas morning. The anticipation of what was hidden was killing my me. You never knew what was in the package, until you opened it up / dug it. Since the XP Deus Bootcamp, the anticipation is gone. The hopes of each high tone, dashed by the rusty bottle cap check. It's become less of a hobby now and more like work. Now all I find, at the hunted out park, is silver. Finds from 5 short, after work hunts, the last 2 weeks, in a small area of a large park. That's a tiny, well worn, 1857 half dime, found at 6 inches. I've quit taking photos of the wheat pennies. All found at 18 kHz.

Those are some fantastic results - can't wait to get back to my local park and hit some of those deep whispers...but now there's 6" of snow in the way :veryangry:

Sorry to hear. My daughter is in Denver & she talked about blizzard like conditions. The coins will have to wait.

Okierick said:
I used to enjoy metal detecting. Long before discrimination, each beep was like Christmas morning. The anticipation of what was hidden was killing my me. You never knew what was in the package, until you opened it up / dug it. Since the XP Deus Bootcamp, the anticipation is gone. The hopes of each high tone, dashed by the rusty bottle cap check. It's become less of a hobby now and more like work. Now all I find, at the hunted out park, is silver. Finds from 5 short, after work hunts, the last 2 weeks, in a small area of a large park. That's a tiny, well worn, 1857 half dime, found at 6 inches. I've quit taking photos of the wheat pennies. All found at 18 kHz.

I wish my "work" was as good as yours! CONGRATS on the great finds!

Yeah, it must really suck to know that beep is not just a piece of trash :detecting: If you really miss the thrill that much, bring your old trash finding machine to some of my sites and clear it out for me. Be sure to leave the Deus home.;)

n/t

Care to enlighten us about your program? I'm currently signed up for the Cincinnati camp....but that isn't until July. :( I'm pretty hopeless with the machine right now....lol.

This program works for me in the soil that I find between Tulsa & Houston. I use 18 kHz for parks, volleyball courts, ball field sidelines, & occupied homes. I've even used it on Galveston beaches, though a little chatty in wet sand. 18 kHz is great for sensitivity on small items. I've found individual metallic beads & a staple. With 18 kHz, I don't want to go too deep and end up with a large hole / plug to fill, particularly in a park. When I'm in an area that I want to go deeper, I use 8 kHz, as 12 kHz plays hell with my White's TRX pinpointer, & vice versa. I prefer the TRX, as it consistently pinpoints items at 5 inches. I've also used the Garrett Pro Pointer & Pro Pointer AT.
I constantly adjust the notch & tones, depending on the other junk I'm finding, at a particular site. Trying to notch out pull tabs & items below pennies & silver will have you missing gold & non-typical coins. The half dime signal was around 78 & a 2 1/2 dollar gold piece (not found) was 71 - 73, both non-typical VDI / TDI coin numbers.
I set up an identical 4 kHz program to the 18 kHz program, without the notches, to check for rusty bottle caps. I place the 4 kHz program right next to the 18 kHz program, to allow toggling back & forth, using the + / - buttons. 4 kHz is also useful for me to better pinpoint the find, as weak signals get stronger. I don't use the detector pinpoint button much.

18kHz

Iron Volume 1 (I usually set to 0)

Reactivity 02
Silencer 0

Audio 5
Audio Overload 1

Notch 00-00
(Sometimes notch the low end, depending on the trash at the site.)
Notch 97-99
(The jury is still out on this one. I believe that a large coin could get ignored.)

Disc 8
3 Tones (I'm a black or white type person, big signal or nothing.)
155 Hz 0 - 8
301 Hz 8 - 39
800 Hz > 39 (sometimes adjust up to 45)

Sens 90 (sometimes reduce, if too chatty)
TX Power 2

Ground Balance
I manually ground balance.