Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It's been 13 years

Greg
I'm in my 60's now
Moving a bit slower. Mostly from the injuries.
Very fortunate you were able to get back.
Sadly I can't access my old emails.
I no longer have an account with that phone company.

Like you I'm not happy with Minelabs quality as of late.
I'm hoping they'll come out with an 1100 model.
Loaded with more options and much stronger build quality. If they'd just make the materials thicker.
Like 100 segment discrimination
And better iron discrimination.
And the ability to mix an match any frequencies in any mode.
Actually looking at the Nokta Lenged.
. Maybe the final release will have those options.
And cheaper.
Welp take care
See ya down the road.
Boy!….I hope that’s in the works too!….That would be nice!

I'm sort of thinking along the same lines as you....i'm "only" 52 lol but i swing an etrac for long beach hunting sessions and its getting a bit much.Problem is,i know how good the etrac is at the beach and i'm reluctant to give it up,i know all the reviews rave about the nox at the beach but "seeing is believing" and "better the devil you know" spring to mind lol.
I met an old guy at the beach the other day using a vanquish which isnt much lighter than the nox and it was incredible to swing.......no weight at all,so the nox is definately a tempting machine.If they have as good a performance as an se or etrac its really a no brainer.
That’s why I dumped my Etrac!…..The weight started to get to me. It doesn’t help when you have tendinitis…. Great machine though!…..The Equinox performs better on the beach overall too.

i noticed this is heavier than the nox 800 and the anfibio

I really do not want to make a mistake... as the dfx and Explorer are good machines.,.. I can see me retired with 5 detectors when I retire in a year or 2...lol...still have the old coinmaster which feels stiff and heavy!
Unfortunately, in over five decades of acquiring and using detectors, I have made a few mistakes. Sometimes a new acquisition wasn't terribly bad, it just didn't complement my detector outfits. Sometimes the performance afield was a bit lacking, and on one or two selections it seemed a lot just fell way short.

Then, what works for some folks for certain applications, just isn't quite right for others. The DFX is one example, at least for me. I owned 4 of them, thinks that what I had prior just wasn't working right. I had owned a few other SMF's, and I thought the DFX was maybe a step up. For me, it wasn't. I had wonderful success with the XLT's I had owned since '94, but after several in-the-field comparisons done side-by-side on located targets I quickly got rid of the DFX units.

As for SMF detectors, I have owned a few DFX, CZ, Sovereign, Explorer series, Vanquish, Equinox 800 and Garrett SMF Apex models and, today, I only have a few Garrett Apex devices. I like them due to their excellent balance, light weight, and because they did a very good job on their first SMF detector.

Also because they provide the option to select a Single Frequency, which I do use quite often compared with running SMF all the time. In quite a few hunt scenarios, I have done better with a Single Frequency than Multi with both the Equinox 800 and Apex. There are times when a Multi-Frequency function works a bit better, and other times when it falls short of a good Single-Frequency.

Of my 10 detectors, some assigned for Tot-Lots, some for remote site Relic Hunting locations, and some more for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting. Not all of them are 'modern' like my Apex devices. Some of them are still current production, like the two I just acquired this past week, the Teknetics Patriot and Fisher F-75+ which share search coils, and some are discontinued models that also work great. Those would be a more dated Tesoro Inca, Silver Sabre microMAX and Bandido II microMAX, or my Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic. All of them will have their own strengths and weaknesses, but with the right sets of coils for each, I can pick the combo to serve my needs ... anywhere.

No doubt you'll end up with a few models of your choice and be ready for retirement in the near future. Just take your time, select them well, and maybe part with whatever is useless and simply 'clutter'.

Monte

Last edited:
Unfortunately, in over five decades of acquiring and using detectors, I have made a few mistakes. Sometimes a new acquisition wasn't terribly bad, it just didn't complement my detector outfits. Sometimes the performance afield was a bit lacking, and on one or two selections it seemed a lot just fell way short.

Then, what works for some folks for certain applications, just isn't quite right for others. The DFX is one example, at least for me. I owned 4 of them, thinks that what I had prior just wasn't working right. I had owned a few other SMF's, and I thought the DFX was maybe a step up. For me, it wasn't. I had wonderful success with the XLT's I had owned since '94, but after several in-the-field comparisons done side-by-side on located targets I quickly got rid of the DFX units.

As for SMF detectors, I have owned a few DFX, CZ, Sovereign, Explorer series, Vanquish, Equinox 800 and Garrett SMF Apex models and, today, I only have a few Garrett Apex devices. I like them due to their excellent balance, light weight, and because they did a very good job on their first SMF detector.

Also because they provide the option to select a Single Frequency, which I do use quite often compared with running SMF all the time. In quite a few hunt scenarios, I have done better with a Single Frequency than Multi with both the Equinox 800 and Apex. There are times when a Multi-Frequency function works a bit better, and other times when it falls short of a good Single-Frequency.

Of my 10 detectors, some assigned for Tot-Lots, some for remote site Relic Hunting locations, and some more for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting. Not all of them are 'modern' like my Apex devices. Some of them are still current production, like the two I just acquired this past week, the Teknetics Patriot and Fisher F-75+ which share search coils, and some are discontinued models that also work great. Those would be a more dated Tesoro Inca, Silver Sabre microMAX and Bandido II microMAX, or my Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic. All of them will have their own strengths and weaknesses, but with the right sets of coils for each, I can pick the combo to serve my needs ... anywhere.

No doubt you'll end up with a few models of your choice and be ready for retirement in the near future. Just take your time, select them well, and maybe part with whatever is useless and simply 'clutter'.

Monte
Thanks and I think the F-75 might turn out to be a good purchase for you. There was a guy near me used one, saw him by the forest preserves quite a few times before the forest preserves banned detecting here permit or not...

I ended up getting the nox 800 a few weeks back.. seriously have not removed from the box yet... A lot has to do with what is comfortable for the user... I am at 4 detectors now... will probably cut down to 2... I heard the F-75 is a very deep detector... keep us updated on that one... I might get one as a back up down the road... Unboxing it today...chose due to it being very light weight.. and think it can replace my explorer se eventually when looking for silver.