Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I've gone back in time 4 years this week

Mike Hillis

4 years ago this month I started this hobby with a Tracker IV. Got good with it. Course I started reading and looking at all the other detectors out there and detector-itis set in and I had to try all those pretty machines that promised more performance. Truth be told, most of them did offer better performance and features.

I remembered the slow recovery speed when I was thinking about it, the limited depth in my ground, about 6" tops for a quarter, and the poor ground coverage of a 8" concentric coil. But there is a difference today. Today there is a 11" DD coil available for it. A DD coil would increase the recovery speed, might help with the depth and for sure would improve the ground coverage.

So I ordered a new Tracker IV from Mr Bill along with the Fisher F4 DD coil. Got it Monday night. Haven't had a chance to put it to the ground yet, that will have to wait until Sunday. But been doing some air testing to see how it compares.

It was neat opening the box just like I did 4 years ago. Felt the same excitement, too. Putting it together, installing the batteries, turning it on and air testing, it was just like putting on pair of old comfortable shoes. It sounded the same, the settings worked the same, the broken tone notch worked the same and in the same locations. The depth is the same. Only thing different is I've got the type of coil I always wanted for it.

So how does it air test with the DD coil?

1. In Tone mode, targets still ID tone wise in the same places as they do with the stock 8" concentric coil: Nickels still break at 11:00, zincs still break at 2:00
2. Depth wise, the DD coil does not show a increase in depth. Air tests were the same as the stock coil.
3. Recovery speed is the same but the DD coil greatly increased target seperation so that it seemed recovery speed was faster. Coins placed one inch apart were detected individually. Sweep speed dependant.
4. Of course a 11" DD greatly improves ground coverage.
5. Still has the excellent iron rejection in the Disc modes.

Sunday seems a long way off.

Mike :detecting:

Nothing wrong with that, those Bounty Hunters can find the good stuff as long as one knows his detector and its characteristics, uses it at what it is good at, I think that goes for any detector. I have really enjoyed buying older detectors (some still currently made), kinda like stepping back in time, nostalgia maybe but we all long for the good old days when things were simpler.... I bet you have a blast with it, hope you have a great time and forgetting about top of the line can be refreshing.
HH,
Steve(MS)

been wondering if you ever got that set up Mike. Hope it works great in the field. Wonder how the DD coil will work on the landstar, land and time rangers...... thanks for keeping us posted.

That was going to be my question exactly...Will that DD coil work on a Land-Star???
Also, where can you get them from???

Thanks,

BH-LandStar
NY

I have used the 11" DD on my 3300 and ids Iron better than my CZ5 .It will do better in the ground than air test.My 8" coil will ID my 9" Dime but jump all over on the LCD but the 11" DD locks on dime.Tested it some on my Big Bud Pro but just in the yard and also makes it ID better in the ground.
PaulWV

This is new to me, so you're saying Fisher coils will work on my Bounty Hunter. This might be worth a try...thanks for the great post!

Any of the older Whites if you get a adaptor,Like ser.2 or 3, 6b loops blue box.The Newer blue max will work but ground balance is off and target ID will be off.I switch them around all the time.
PaulWV

That and your email addy is buried and everytime I thought to find it and let you know everything arrived ok something else came up. So I put it here.

Thanks,

Mike

I used it today on the Tracker IV and another Fisher (F2) It worked very well on both units.

The coil will match the performance of the machine its being run on and from what I can tell so far from using it on two different units, there was no performance loss or target id shifting.

Two years ago I told Dave Johnson that BH needed a accessory DD coil. In fact it was my posts on the BH forum about DD coils that opened the door to being able to field test First Texas machines. Well, here it is and it works very well. It will enhance the target separation and recovery speed of your unit not to mention what it does with ground coverage. It is a premium accessory though at $126 bucks. Heck, the coil cost $7 dollars more than the Tracker IV did :lol: However, I got nearly $20 bucks worth of clad today using it. So it's carrying its own weight. ;)

I highly recommend it. It is well worth the cost.

HH

Mike

You say that it does require an adapter to work properly...that would be a 5-pin to whatever the Fisher coil is right?
Also, I have gone to the Fisher site, and without emailing them, I cannot find the coil listed separate for sale...

HH,

No, I didn't say anything about an adapter being needed. The F4DD coil is directly compatible to all BH machines.

The coil isn't listed on Fisher's website. You have to call the dealers to get a price. I've talked to a couple of dealers and the prices are real close to being the same.

HH

Mike

Mike, I have been waiting for you and that old Canadian to post this. I remember over two years ago on the old BH forum you and Jeff/middlesex saying the day BH puts out a DD coil you were getting a Tracker IV.

Didn't take long after they released the F4 DD coil for sale you did it. I am planning on getting an F4 soon as I loved the RS3300 and Titan3000. I tried the F4 down in Sacramento a couple months ago and loved it. Now with the F4 having the DD coil and the Tracker being so inexpensive I might buy then both. Let us know how you do with this combination.