Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Jetco Detectors with Square, Open Search Coils

MikeK

Can anyone tell me when Jetco made their line of detectors with those open square coils? Were they earlier or later than the ones with small open, round coils or the black, closed ones?

Thanks!

Not sure when the open square coil came out, here's a picture of various models from an 1971 Treasure magazine.

Mustang model had the square coil, but I've had a couple of same mustang model before only they had a smaller round coil.

Hope this helps, Wish I could give more information.

Paul

thanx for the input Paul.

Hey, I was just passing through your area a week ago (well ..... south of you). And took a detour to hunt an old spot of co-research. The certain "village" site. Got another coin: 1873 P dime. Other than that, we struggled to find any conductors. I think when they built that modern paved road, it literally cuts right through the middle of the site. Which explains the silence (no targets) @ about 20 or 30 yards of either side of that road: Cleared to make the right-of-way and the berm thing that exists there. But even beyond that: Strangely: 99% iron, yet few , if any, conductors.

This made for 4 period coins though, that have come from that site (3 seateds and a bust).

Thanks for sharing the info Tom, I know that particular area with the paved road. It does have a blanket of iron, in fact so thick you can pick up square nail's from the surface.

I was there back around late 2008 or early 2009, didn't hunt it just walked the site. Walked both sides, will always cherish the moment knowing it is one of the oldest site's in my area.

Congrats with yours and friends finds!

Today, dug an old coin from a new site. Old site in my area, started hunting it two weeks ago this is my third hunt there. I knew eventually an old coin would surface, today it did. Luckily, Land owner let's me hunt on his property "farm land". It's about 1/2 mile from the 1850 site, recently put pieces of a puzzle together and sure enough found old age indicators. Its off the Native American Indian trail, goes back centuries long before 1850.

I'll try and post on the finds or metal detecting forum, Long overdue for this type of coin.

Thanks Tom!
Paul

I bought a Huntmaster in 1974, and remember all four of those machines pretty well from pouring over the catalogues at that time. Jetco also advertised a lot in treasure mags, comic books, popular mechanics, boy's life, etc.. Never saw the square coil back then, and I believe the closed coils did come later. That's got to be one of the early ones.

I would love to find a round solid coil Mustang detector! That was my first detector, back around 1970 or so. I was 7 or 8 when my parents gave me a detector for Christmas. Bet they never could have iminaged how long this hobby would have lasted or where it would lead me! LOL

My first metal detector was a Jetco GTO Searchmaster. I worked all summer in 1969, when I was 14, to buy it. It came with two searchcoils, a large round one and a small round one. My buddy bought a Mustang at the same time and his less expensive detector had a square searchcoil. Here's a photo of what mine looked like.
~Texas Jay

[attachment 359791 JetcoGTOSearchmaster1.JPG]

[attachment 359792 JetcoGTOSearchmaster2.JPG]