Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Jeweler’s Mark ID

Ronstar

A ring I dug recently I initially thought was costume, even after the second look over I thought it was junk. The other night I was simply looking at it trying to figure out the design (flower) motif on the top. I have a loupe that goes 10x to 30x and while looking at it under 20x I noticed what looked like letters inside the band. Closer look confirmed STxxxxNG so grabbed the toothbrush and a toothpick and started working on it. The ring is heavily tarnished and the unreadable letters (ground grit as I call it) slowly came out and all the letters for STERLING are readable. Score.
In front of the word is a symbol which at first looked like SV woven together or maybe the V is a fancy “checkmark”. Looked thru the internet until blind and unable to match the symbol to anyone.
Took the ring to a jeweler who used a stereo scope and confirmed what I was seeing and he drew it out by hand. Ring will be cleaned and polished.
This ring was dug about 3-4” deep in an area I was pulling 40s wheats and a couple 40-50s Rosies so maybe same era?
Does anyone have a reference book that has older jewelers ID symbols? See attached pic of the hand drawn symbol, not to scale but I confirm it is the shape I was seeing.
Thanks! (Jeweler can research but cost is $30 an hour so hoping someone here can ID)

Attachments

• 15841750-846D-4AB5-AA19-5DD7EDAB9C60.jpeg
    15841750-846D-4AB5-AA19-5DD7EDAB9C60.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
  • E0D81ACA-4B8C-4853-9F21-01F4C840B616.jpeg
    E0D81ACA-4B8C-4853-9F21-01F4C840B616.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Or SJ?

Well now I see it....... looking......🙄 Update: nope. There is some info but half of them have “no image available” so that doesnt help....

Last edited:
I tried different websites etc and did not find anything close, but that mark is real close. Local antique shop called back and she believes she might have located it as well. If the V symbol turns out to be a serpent then it might be Egyptian and the symbols together may indicate 1911. To be continued....

Ring cleaned! Mark, as best I can describe it, is as follows.....
Looks like an S sitting in the bowl of spoon with the handle bent up to 45ish degree angle. I still can not locate this mark.....It has a rose head with a stem and leaf as the theme on top of the ring. Photo of mark is best I can do, jeweler left a touch of crud in the marks so they show up better.....

Attachments

• 4038E8D2-48BE-4436-B6AF-A002C4344C68.jpeg
    4038E8D2-48BE-4436-B6AF-A002C4344C68.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • FAC8D485-9A33-48BA-B7DB-F3AD72CFDB90.jpeg
    FAC8D485-9A33-48BA-B7DB-F3AD72CFDB90.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
Ron, the maker's mark looks incredibly similar to the SV "Fox" ring posted above;

SV.jpg

Even in the "STERL ING"... notice how the R and L lean into each other leaving the space between the L and the ING? Looks like the same stamp.

Comparing the faces, the rose and the fox are very similar in style. Dunno, pretty close, whaddya think?

sv2.jpg

You will notice in your silver ring photo the S and V are separate and the top of the right side leg of the V has a slight curl over and the top of the S is flattened. On my ring the S appears to sit in the “bowl” of the V (or J). You are right on the spaces and the similar styles of the rose and fox face.
Maybe I’m too critical here but after looking at about a dozen different SV and SJ markings I’ve noticed minor variations and some so slight you have to look twice. Nonetheless, the darned minor changes are often copyrighted. Usually I can find the marks listed somewhere but this one is just plain aggravating!!!!!
If you look closely you can see a small “dot” on the left side of the bottom of the S and this gives it the look of sitting in the “bowl” as I describe it.....

Update::
Steve you hit it outta the park!!!!! The jeweler who cleaned it said if I wanted more cleaned out to just bring it back so I did. After getting what was left of the imbedded crud out it appears to be a match now. The tarnishing was giving us false lines and marks.
Do you have information from what you found as to whom the maker is/was? After a brief search by him he wasnt zeroing in on anything either.....

Update::
Steve you hit it outta the park!!!!! The jeweler who cleaned it said if I wanted more cleaned out to just bring it back so I did. After getting what was left of the imbedded crud out it appears to be a match now. The tarnishing was giving us false lines and marks.
Do you have information from what you found as to whom the maker is/was? After a brief search by him he wasnt zeroing in on anything either.....
For what it is worth, here's the link, someone else asking for info about the mark on a fox ring, but no replies

Apparently no one on that site answers questions.........local jewelers say $30 an hour to research and identify and high percentage are done under an hour. Trying to determine if worth the effort but this sure is under my skin now...