Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Jewelry finds

Herb Jones

I mostly coin shoot, and have finally gotten Around to the dig everything mindset, hoping that some jewelry would pop Up.... but as of yet nada.... I have found a few small pieces, but they all rang up like Coins... just wondering ... I see Some People On Here John/Edmonton , for Instance, who consistently pull Decent jewelry finds.... aside from the beach.... where are you all Finding most of the jewelry you Find? I bought a Few small Gold Rings and chains for The test garden and hit them with consistency when I Try diff rent setting there, so I Am Guessing it's just Location, and not technique that's keeping me off the jewelry.

If the jewelry is sounding like coins its probably silver or plated. If you're using a tone i.d. machine and only using 1 tone they will all sound the same. I like using my T-2 with 3 tones in tot lots because I get excited when I get a medium tone but they usually turn out to be foil. There's a lot more coins lost that jewelry. Tot lots have produced most of my gold rings. Ball fields have the potential for jewelry also.

I haven't done too many got lots and I rarely have a chance to do Sports fields.... seems like Location, location, location

I find a lot of my jewelry in parks and athletic fields. You have to dig a lot of trash. I pull my targets out as quick as I can, using only a screwdriver and pinpointer. I hardly ever user a digger in parks or sports fields, as that is one way to quickly get booted out of those spots. And, often times I do find 6" holes in places where 90% of the targets are in the top 2 inches dug by others. I try and fill them in and make them disappear. On one hand it's a waste of time for me, on the other, in the big picture, it keeps spots open.

I am getting used to setting it lower And lower With each hunt.... these Dirty rascals have dropped So Much trash... but each return trip.

Hoser John said:
Run disc as low as possible-John

Whenever this discussion comes up, someone is sure to chime in with "dig all" or "run disc. as low as possible", etc... And as if: then you go to the nearest blighted park, and dig junk till your arms fall off. As if THAT is the recipe for finding gold jewelry. (and I mean no disrespect for you hoser-john).

But it's already a "given" that alloyed gold jewelry is a low to medium conductor (depending on size and karats of gold object).

THE MUCH BIGGER forumula is: Location location location. Herb, I see you say "besides the beach" . Why is that ? If you're in a state that's not near the ocean beaches, then certainly you have lake swim beaches somewhere within range of you ? But assuming you simply don't have any swim beaches near you, here's some land-site options:

a) soccer fields. Esp. around the goal posts and sidelines, where people tend to put their stuff "for safekeeping" before heading out to the field to play (people take off jewelry in that process). The same for other sports fields. Like Baseball, where people take on and off gloves, that tugs on rings on their fingers.

b) mud wrestle pits. Or sand wrestle pits in PT fields.

c) sand volleyball courts.

d) ski-lift lines (@ summer melt time). D/t people standing in line take off their gloves to study their trail maps, reach for the granola bar, etc... And any time you're taking off your gloves, is the pulling action.

And in each and every case of the above, you want to AVOID any places that have eating, drinking, picnicking/BBQ'ing. Ie.: regular park's usage where that occurs. The reason is: ANY TIME you introduce eating and drinking, that's the automatic introduction of foil (for food-wrappings) and aluminum tabs (for the drinks). And can-slaw (for when mowers interact with the cans). And avoid BBQ pits and camp-fire areas: Because when people throw their cans on the fire (or the aluminum for cooking wrap) is the immediate time for when you get can nugget globules.

THAT'S NOT TO SAY THAT GOLD RINGS AREN'T in junky parks. But just saying, if you're going to angle for gold rings, you might as well go to where the ratios are more in your favor. Swim beaches are best.

I love to hunt for rings even if there junk. I agree location is the key and detector disc knowledge is important also. I exclusively hunt dry land and it is tough. A few years ago I watched mdotv1, where a guy dry land hunted and found lots of gold jewelry, many in tot lots. Also I watched a video on Gerry's Detectors on where most gold rings show up in disc mode. My ring and jewelry finds went up after watching some of these videos. I have found a lot of junk jewelry and some silver, gold too. I would rather find junk jewelry than zincolns anyway. good luck and HH

MOST of my gold and jewelry (quality) come in as FOIL, TABS, ZINCERS, and SCREWCAPS. Occasionally I get lucky and find one in the NICKEL range. Lesson finished.:cool:

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

Beaches, or course, swimming holes, Football fields (sidelines), Basketball Courts (sidelines), Schools Parks and tot lots.

And the right detector.