Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Jewelry question

Ronstar

Went back to old city park yesterday and started working in an area of the park I’ve not hit much. Dug the usual clad but also got a couple medium deep (solid 33 VDI hits. Both turned out to be smaller earrings.

The hook parts were silvery with no discoloration, one obviously not a silver bling piece and the other a silver colored small peace symbol. Once home and cleaned up I started checking for hallmarks etc using my loupe.
Both, to my surprise, had the teeniest tiny little 925 rolled into the wire that I’ve ever seen. Earring on the left's bling not silver but I’m not sure about the peace symbol. Would it be stamped 925 separately? Appears to possibly be silver…..
Experienced thoughts?

Attachments

• 473100DB-D41B-4A27-80F0-BD87146DEDB4.jpeg
    473100DB-D41B-4A27-80F0-BD87146DEDB4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 166
I agree , looks silver to me. Rub it between you fingertips for a while and see if you start to get that tarnish discoloration on them. Someone left a tip here about testing with 18 k acid and looking for a whitish powder and that works very well. I have found several silver colored chains marked 925 Italy on the clasp and everyone was not silver or the only part that was silver was the clasp.

Peace symbol was not silver……☹️

It's interesting that both earrings had the tiniest 925 marking on the wire. That indicates they're likely made of sterling silver, which is quite valuable. As for the bling earring, even if the stones themselves aren't silver, it's still possible that the setting or the hook is made of silver. As for the peace symbol earring... it's hard to say for sure without closer inspection.

If there's no separate 925 stamp on it, it's possible that the entire earring is made of silver.

It's interesting that both earrings had the tiniest 925 marking on the wire. That indicates they're likely made of sterling silver, which is quite valuable. As for the bling earring, even if the stones themselves aren't silver, it's still possible that the setting or the hook is made of silver. As for the peace symbol earring... it's hard to say for sure without closer inspection.

If there's no separate 925 stamp on it, it's possible that the entire earring is made of silver.
BTW, if you're curious to learn more about gemstone beads and explore other jewelry-making possibilities, you might want to check out this link: https://www.nationalfacets.com/collections/gemstone-beads. They have a wonderful selection of gemstone beads that could inspire you to create your own unique pieces.

Good point!

Just My Quick 2 cents... Many people have allergic reactions to the junk metals in cheap jewelry... It's fairly common for there to be sterling and gold earring hangers holding cheaply made ornaments ...
I have been told this also by jewelers.
Some silver jewelry is also gold plated for this reason.
I found a small gold looking pendant that is marked .925.
Most likely probably only the hanger is silver.

That's a cool find with those earrings, especially with the 925 stamp. It sounds like you stumbled upon some hidden treasures! As for the peace symbol, it might indeed be silver if it's stamped separately. Experienced eyes might help decipher its authenticity.