Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Jimmy Sierra

Heck he is easily at retirement age and imagine he is retired one would think...lets hope he has not passed on....

I believe he is still doing detecting trips with Discovery Tours to the UK.

Rich -

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending upon your perspective, if a business doesn't change with the times, they thus choose to die and/or choose to be replaced.

Pretending / acting like, it is 1980, is not a functional business strategy today.

Howard

Steve Howard said:
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending upon your perspective, if a business doesn't change with the times, they thus choose to die and/or choose to be replaced.

Pretending / acting like, it is 1980, is not a functional business strategy today.

Howard

The trouble is Jimmy Sierra may have not decided too change with the times and of course we are all aware what the final outcome of that was,i personally think it was a shame but is that progress ?? regarding the change aspect of a company or product range going forward and of course this is related to the 'Whites' brand of which i have always been a ardent loyal fan and still own 4 machines.But this is the crux of the matter the latest offerings within say the last few years have not been upto the same standard of say the last 20-25 years,and what i mean by this some of the recent new machines have been for a better word 'lack lustred' or even having design problems.

Is this how Whites see 'change with the times' if so and of course this is just my personal perspective then the future does not look good and it could go the same way as some other brand from Prescott AZ,of course i hope it does not go that way and i hope that i am wrong,but from being a loyal fan of many many years and would at one time just buy Whites machines i cannot see anything in the current line up or even anything in the foreseeable future too attract me and extract money from my bank account.Have other companies done this ?? yes of course they have as they have been able to get ideas and feedback from customers and what features they are looking for,off the drawing board into production exactly what the customer wants and folks are basically throwing money at the company on down payment deposits in a very short time duration......that in my mind is what other successful brands have done and that is how 'changing with the times' is achieved,have Whites changed looking at it from a customer perspective like myself ?? the answer is 'no' it may have been seen from a 'Whites perspective' but its the customer perspective that is the vital lifeline that keeps a company going and not resting on ones laurels from the good heydays from years gone by.

Yes, engineering is a different subject all together.

The difficult part from my perspective is the negativity (lack luster release) from those who appear to be unable to see the realities of the business end of it. The negativity about entry & mid range model release from high end users is poorly thought out. Most metal detector users could not care less about the business end of things, typically don't care, not interested, and sometimes worse, don't get it. Surprising, many metal detector users don't even get that the metal detector manufactures have to make money, not a government agency, not a non-profit.

In a nut shell, without entry level and mid range work horses, pays overhead, there can be no high end. Ask, "why is Plexus/Minelab pursuing the entry level and mid range market so "over the top" aggressively? They have $5,000 models to pay the bills". Obviously even $5,000 models can't pay the bills, low volume. Entry / mid is what pays the bills, dwarfs the high end sales, allows the money for the high end. So when manufactures release entry and mid range models, a high end user seeing that in a negative light... they are literally shooting themselves in the foot.

The MX7 appears to be set a huge winner. Early indications suggest it may well outsell historic models such as the 6000 and XLT. Would a high end user be impressed? Typically Not with any mid range model. Will the MX7 benefit all high end users, certainly it will in that it provides funding for high end. Why doesn't the high end support itself? Low volume. Surprising to many regulars on the forums, overall, high end user are outnumbered by mid to entry level well exceeding 1 to 20,000. That's a lot of metal detectors! That's a lot of overhead. That's a lot of R & D funding.

White's does listen to customers as well as other detector users. Customers overwhelmingly say, "we don't want a new feature or new name and call it a new model, we want something really significantly better than what is currently available, we want the wheel re-invented". That has kept White's high end projects in the R&D for what some perceive as a ridiculous amount of time. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Plexus / Minelab releasing a Deus like model, and at the same time suing the crap out of Deus, the industry is interested to see how that turns out. It will make a difference in everyone's R & D.

I tried once to get some very distinct Jimmy Sierra product directly from his shop, items that was Not available at our local Whites importer/dealer and was told to see our dealer. :nono: Not good for business!

My latest Whites detector, an MX Sport made some nice finds and lost the lock-in ability on the very restricted "Whites Forum" looks like they are not interested in finds/post from our part of the world :shrug: Go figure !

Protectionism is not cool :shrug: ........ eBay is here and Amazon is about to open in Oz :happy:

:cheers:

Steve Howard said:
Plexus / Minelab releasing a Deus like model, and at the same time suing the crap out of Deus, the industry is interested to see how that turns out. It will make a difference in everyone's R & D.

Who is suing Deus?
Why are they suing Deus?

I consider myself a loyal whites fan. Have tried other companies but always end up back with whites... the tdi in particular.
That being said something needs to change with the international sales area. Every transaction it seems gets $50 or so tacked on top. For example ; there was a sale recently at whites. I tried to buy a coil that was $30 or $60.. can't remember the exact amount. I didn't buy it because the international shipping "fee" was $100. I've had entire detectors mailed to me for $75.. yet a small light coil was $100.
Still a whites fan and if they even pump out a new pi i will be buying

Codan (Minelab’s parent company) brought suit against XP (Deus manufacturer) for patent infringement. The patent in question covers uploading data to a metal detector from an external data storage device.

The suit never went to trial - apparently some settlement was reached.

That actually made sense if the distributor sent you to his dealers for purchase..
That is how it should have been handled..Can you imagine how the dealers would have felt had their distributor been selling around them.. That is good business on the distributors part !!

Recently, shipping in general, and especially international shipping, the prices have gone through the roof! Carriers always minimize the increase, (only a 5% increase, every year) however, they always add a few policy changes to bump it up way more, (if its like this we charge an extra X). Many have seen their rates double and triple.

White's simply passes the rates through as is, no mark up on shipping, and provide customers our commercial rates when shipping from our dock.

Howard

I think it's admirable that Mr. Howard is participating in this thread. I wish all manufacturer reps share their views in the forums.
HH
Jason