Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Joe Patrick's "In-Sight Meter" for Sovereign Detectors

I just came across a brochure for Joe Patrick's "In-Sight Meter" for the Sovereign metal detectors? I've have a SunRay DTI III and I was thinking of having one of the In-Sight meters installed in my GT. I guess my question is... has anyone who has owned a DTI meter and converted their Sovereign to an In-Sight meter regretted doing the conversion afterwards?

If so... what did you regret?

I have an XS-2A there right now. I also have a GT done by him. I have never regretted getting it done. I really like it. You lose the speaker , but I always use headphones. It is more for hip or chest mounting. If you like your Sovereign mounted on the shaft don't get the mod. You have a really hard time leaning back to see the meter all the time. I like it because the meter is always with me. If I want to use it I can. No extra wires. No extra bulkiness. No need to worry about the calibration knob being bumped or turned all the time. If you want to use it as a reference there it is.

There was a problem with the meter registering with an SEF coil. Something about the wiring. Joe said he thinks he has a fix. So I sent my GT in with the other one to have the problem addressed. I just picked up a used SEF coil from Mel Parker. Joe doesn't have an SEF coil to make sure it is fixed, but I will let you know when I get it back. Every other coil works great.

Through the years I think I had Joe mod at least 4 Sovereigns for me. I sell them once in a while to wheel and deal on other detecting stuff. I will always keep my GT. And this XS-2A is very nice. I think I will keep it too. Point being is that every one of the mods looked great. No sloppy workmanship.

Bottom line.... If you hip or chest mount and like a meter you will love the mod. The DTI III is a nice meter. But for hip or chest mounting it requires extra wires. You worry about it getting damaged. You worry about it it taking a wave or rain. With the mod those days are over.

And I am in the process of bagging a Sovereign for next water season. How cool is that to have the power of an excal in the water with a meter? Yes I use a meter on the beach. Shallow tabs do not see my scoop. Foil is easy to identify by bouncing numbers.

Thanks for the information Goodmore.

Yes... I hip mount my sovereign(s) and I can see where the Patrick In-Sight would be a benefit to those who hip mount.

Do you find the smaller numbers to be a problem on the In-Sight meter?

BTW... I was the guy who bought your DTI III about a year ago. It still works fine and I can't imagine parting with it. :)

I chest mount usually. The numbers are right there. I admit my eyes are bad compared to a few years ago. I still can read the numbers. But I wear bifocals because I have a hard time seeing the targets. Glad to hear the meter is still working. I'm not bragging but I have sold quite a few things. It is hard to keep track of it all. After selling detectors and coils and all kinds of accessories I am still a Sovereign guy. I knew after my first hunt with a Sovereign I found a detector for me. I try many things to get the most out of my detector. Shaun's Amp. Large coils. Different rods. Some I regret, but not Joe's meter.

Goodmore, I sold you an 8 inch coil from my sovereign last year. I also have Joes meter on my control box, but it will not work with my SEF coils. Please let me know if Joe can make a good fix for the SEF coils for you. Thanks Goodmore, best wishes. GH, Don