Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

John-Edmonton: A question

dahut

I see your seemingly never-ending display of jewelry and am agog. I know that much of it is due to your perseverance; you go every day, if possible.
That is point one.

But, Im interested in your distance traveled. How far do you go each day on your "common junk-ets," those around town, after work, etc.
And more importantly, what do you consider a practical limit for travel to a detecting location?

Big Cat Daddy got me thinking about this, when he said he traveled 185 miles round trip to get to one particular lake. Considering your stunning success in the water, how far DO you have to travel to get to your "honey holes"?

I'm curious too about a couple things...

1. John, are you part cyborg? With your finds you are like the Terminator of metal detecting.
2. How often do you go out?
3. How many AAs do you go through in a month?

The world wants to know...

- Muddyshoes

Is John really the Norwegian Ice Breaker?

http://johns-jokes.com/Norwegian-Icebreaker-heads-up-the-Mississippi-River.html

LOL @ Jerri-Wi...

I'm sure his trash count is high. You don't get quantity and quality without lots of it, and clearly he has mastered his machines.

- Muddyshoes

Most of my junkets are within a 30 minute drive from home. that includes parks, athletic fields, old trails, new trails, rivers creeks. Anywhere where people have congregated. My water hunts take me no further then a 2 hour drive.

if anyone took a compass, centered it where they live and drew a radius of about 2 miles along your home, there should be many places within that boundary to search for coins, jewellery etc. Now if you want specific types of finds, you will have to do more intense research. If you are new to the sport, I suggest you purchase Charles Garrett's "The New Successful Coin Hunting" book. It will give you some great ideas on where to hunt. You can probably get it from one of the sponsors (dealers) of the forum or directly from Garrett.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_successful_coin_hunting_book.aspx

1) Cold out? Dress Warm
2) Nearly every day 1-2 hours unless bad weather, burned out or family commitments
3) I use rechargeables. A set usually lasts about 2 years, then just won't hold a charge long enough

My wife supports my hobby, after all I recently bought her a car after cashing in my gold finds.

Who would have ever guessed that gold would reach the plateau which it had near the end of 2010. And who would have guessed that using a metal detector to search for metal targets would find gold. Fast forward to early 2011, and you will be amazed at all the gold rings, gold necklaces, bracelets and diamonds which my Garretts have found.
Gold didn't come easy when I first started metal detecting. In fact, I found zero gold during my first two years metal detecting. The coins and some rings were plentiful, however, gold was the missing card. But, as the years went by, patterns started repeating themselves, and finding gold became easier. Two of the most important entities for finding gold are metal detector and location. My Garretts had no difficulty finding gold rings (if they were there), and researching locations became easier as time went on also. Finding some old beaches which had dried up years ago helped, and so did busy current beaches. Not living near water, I wanted to find a niche where gold rings could be found on land, near home. Well, I found that too. Sports fields!
The Garrett Scorpion had a natural attraction for gold, as that's what it's 15kHz ground hog Circuitry was designed to find. It it worked well....plain and simple. For water, I used a water proofed ACE 150, then moved up to an Infinium. Now a lot of people warned me that a PI (pulse induction) metal detector was not a very good instrument for fresh water lakes. Nothing could be further from the truth. It excelled in the water, and found a lot of jewellery missed by others using non PI detectors. It sure pays (literally) to make your own decisions, and had I not used my Infinium, I would have missed lots of gold rings and chains.
I recently separated my gold jewellery into piles - rings, chains and bracelets. The price of gold was at an all time high and it was time to sell. I must admit, I suffered a little separation anxiety. Those gold finds brought back a lot of great memories from hunts. But on the other hand, there was nothing sentimental about each piece. They were just "found" somewhere, either lost or thrown. I did manage to return a few to the rightful owners. Prior to packaging them for the refinery, I allowed each of my 4 kids and wife to pick out a favorite ring and keep it as a keepsake. The rest, 99 rings were sent!
About 3 weeks later, I was rewarded with a cheque for $9,387.80. I couldn't believe my eyes! It just so happened that my wife's vehicle had recently broken down, and it was questionable due to it's age whether we should even repair it. It didn't take very long to make a decision, and a good one at that to replace it with a newer car.
Two weeks later, we found a nice Toyota Yaris, great condition and good on gas to replace our old gas guzzler.

A happy wife = a happy life!
John - Edmonton

No truer words have ever been said. A Happy Wife does indeed equal a Happy Life. Congrats on all of your finds John.......you are an inspiration.

John-Edmonton said:
Most of my junkets are within a 30 minute drive from home. that includes parks, athletic fields, old trails, new trails, rivers creeks. Anywhere where people have congregated. My water hunts take me no further then a 2 hour drive.

if anyone took a compass, centered it where they live and drew a radius of about 2 miles along your home, there should be many places within that boundary to search for coins, jewellery etc. Now if you want specific types of finds, you will have to do more intense research. If you are new to the sport, I suggest you purchase Charles Garrett's "The New Successful Coin Hunting" book. It will give you some great ideas on where to hunt. You can probably get it from one of the sponsors (dealers) of the forum or directly from Garrett.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_successful_coin_hunting_book.aspx
Thanks for the information from a master, John. I know it will be appreciated by the Garrett fans here. H. Glenn Carson, the detecting writer, used to comment that there are more places within five miles of your own front door to detect than you have time to search. I Mr. Garretts book - its been a stalwart for years

John-Edmonton said:
1) Cold out? Dress Warm
2) Nearly every day 1-2 hours unless bad weather, burned out or family commitments
3) I use rechargeables. A set usually lasts about 2 years, then just won't hold a charge long enough

My wife supports my hobby, after all I recently bought her a car after cashing in my gold finds.

Who would have ever guessed that gold would reach the plateau which it had near the end of 2010. And who would have guessed that using a metal detector to search for metal targets would find gold. Fast forward to early 2011, and you will be amazed at all the gold rings, gold necklaces, bracelets and diamonds which my Garretts have found.
Gold didn't come easy when I first started metal detecting. In fact, I found zero gold during my first two years metal detecting. The coins and some rings were plentiful, however, gold was the missing card. But, as the years went by, patterns started repeating themselves, and finding gold became easier. Two of the most important entities for finding gold are metal detector and location. My Garretts had no difficulty finding gold rings (if they were there), and researching locations became easier as time went on also. Finding some old beaches which had dried up years ago helped, and so did busy current beaches. Not living near water, I wanted to find a niche where gold rings could be found on land, near home. Well, I found that too. Sports fields!
The Garrett Scorpion had a natural attraction for gold, as that's what it's 15kHz ground hog Circuitry was designed to find. It it worked well....plain and simple. For water, I used a water proofed ACE 150, then moved up to an Infinium. Now a lot of people warned me that a PI (pulse induction) metal detector was not a very good instrument for fresh water lakes. Nothing could be further from the truth. It excelled in the water, and found a lot of jewellery missed by others using non PI detectors. It sure pays (literally) to make your own decisions, and had I not used my Infinium, I would have missed lots of gold rings and chains.
I recently separated my gold jewellery into piles - rings, chains and bracelets. The price of gold was at an all time high and it was time to sell. I must admit, I suffered a little separation anxiety. Those gold finds brought back a lot of great memories from hunts. But on the other hand, there was nothing sentimental about each piece. They were just "found" somewhere, either lost or thrown. I did manage to return a few to the rightful owners. Prior to packaging them for the refinery, I allowed each of my 4 kids and wife to pick out a favorite ring and keep it as a keepsake. The rest, 99 rings were sent!
About 3 weeks later, I was rewarded with a cheque for $9,387.80. I couldn't believe my eyes! It just so happened that my wife's vehicle had recently broken down, and it was questionable due to it's age whether we should even repair it. It didn't take very long to make a decision, and a good one at that to replace it with a newer car.
Two weeks later, we found a nice Toyota Yaris, great condition and good on gas to replace our old gas guzzler.

A happy wife = a happy life!
John - Edmonton
Great story (from a normally quiet fellow).
Tell us, if you will, about these "patterns" you learned to spot. That keenly interests me.