Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

John-Edmonton - Black Davy - Need Guidance

Dimesworth

Hey guys, type {meteorite-list} metal detectors, into your search engine and read it please. I live in Minnesota and in the winter all there is to hunt around here is meteorites. I search rock piles all winter. There are a lot of piles in this country and I figure they're a good place to look. The fellow in the article, meteorite-list metal detectors, claims that one has to have a detector with manual ground balance to find meteorites. He writes that any detector with automatic balance will track the meteorite out. I own a White's GMT with both auto and manual balance. A friend of mine has what he swears is a certified meteorite, about the size of a base ball. The GMT on auto tracked the rock out in about two swing passes. I placed the detector in manual and it picked the rock up continually. I could also pick it up with my Tesoro, which has manual balance, this was done very loudly by the way, much sharper than the GMT. My Infinium, that I figured would be the best of the lot on meteorites made no sound what-so-ever. I carried the Infin. half the winter figuring the metal in a meteorite would really set it off. Then I read this above article and switched to my Tesoro. Then I also read somewhere that a meteorite is not really metal but like a hot rock. I don't understand this. Can one of you please help me, or any one else who knows the score. Dimesworth.

I gave a couple of pieces of the Nantan meteorite away last month. From my own testing of that particular meteorite, the Garrett Scorpion (it has manual ground balance) the ACE 250 and the Garrett Master Hunter (has ground tracking) hit it the hardest. I can't speak for any other manufacturer, as I haven't tested any of them. If it was me, I would use the Garrett Scorpion, as it is very sensitive to nickel, and meteorites tend to have a high % of nickel in them. I haven't hunted for meteorites yet, but it is on the list of things to do.......

Sorry I can't be of any help here, I do not have any meteorites, I have a good rock collection but none of those. Try contacting Garrett and ask them that's all can offer up. Sorry.