Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

John In Edmonton, Got A Question On The Infinium !!

berniekk

Happy New Year John,

John, I have read a lot of your posts on the infinium, and have decided to buy one, I plan to ride over to Kelleco tomorrow and try one out.
But be for I buy one, I would like to make sure, I am getting a late model that has not been on the shelf for a year or longer,and has all the latest up dates.
Do you know if the box that the infinium comes in has a date of production on it ? Or any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bernie,

Hi Bernie,
Kellyco sells lots and lots of Garrett detectors and I would assume you would get the latest one available. Also Garrett has been very fair
about updating the Infinium and they really stand behind their products and warranty. In my opinion they are second to none. Furthermore
if you remove the battery pack there is a serial number inside the battery compartment. If you call Garrett and give them the serial number
they can tell you if there are any updates after that one was manufactured. I know there was an update for using mono coils, but that was
quite a while ago and I am not sure about any others, but mine was updated a year ago and runs real nice. Remember that this is a real
deep seeking detector and slight variations in the background signal just means real sensitivity. Get to know it and you will love it.
Rich

Hi Rich,
You sure are right, about Kellyco selling a lot of detectors, I got there about 12:00 pm Friday and had to drive around the parking lot to find a place to park.
I have been there a few other times, and never seen them that busy, I think it is because of the sale they are having, buy one detector and get the second detector for $1.00.
I got the infinium, and got it assemble late yesterday. Ready for the Saturday low tide.

I was a little concerned about noise, from some of the post I have read, but to my surprise it was quite as a mouse !
I only found 2 dimes and 3 pennies + old drill bit and 2 bud light bottle caps, not very deep about 4" deep.

I have really got to work on the ground balance and threshold, I know I wasn't doing either one right today. After church tomorrow I will go to the beach and work with it again, the beach is really sanded in, and all the goodies are 12" to 18" down. ( ruffle speaking )
Yes, I think I really like it already, and it's good to know, you got the right machine for deep coins and jewelry, and a reliable company like Garrett for the warranty and service.

Thanks for the information on the S/N. I will give them a call Monday.

Bernie,

Hey Bernie
welcome to the ((wet)) side of the Game!!
Patience and determination will yield treasure
enjoy the ride

Hello Hunter 18,

Thanks for the welcome ! ( to the Wet Side, I like that )

I got the infinium Friday, and tried it out at the beach Saturday, got a lot to learn about the G/B and the tones.
But what I notice mostly was the swing, I have really got watch, and slow down my swing!!

I have been hunting for the past 4 or 5 years, with a CZ-20 ( excellent machine ) made a lot of good finds.
Think I will go back to the beach, later today and practice some more on the out going tide.

Have a Great Day!!

Bernie,

The threshold is like a sensitivity adjustment also. If it too low it is less sensitive. I usually have mine around 5-6. Might be noisy at the beach but for prospecting it is right on.
Enjoy your Infinium, i do.

Alan

Hi Bernie,
Congratulations on your purchase! You will really learn to like and respect the Infinium. One memorable day with the Infinium I got to the beach and
found two other hunters there already. About the time I started swinging the coil it started to rain. The other two guys packed up and left and I kept
right on detecting. I spent about an hour and a half in the rain and had one ring and a handful of change. Something to be said for a waterproof detector!
Of course I have the waterproof earphones.
Regarding coils, I have the 8 inch and the stock 10x14 DD. The 8 inch is easier to pinpoint with, but the 10x14DD covers ground much faster. I got the
8 inch for nugget hunting, for the beach the 14 inch MONO might be a good choice. Also when changing coils from a DD to a Mono style it might take
a bit longer to ground balance.
Have fun and good luck
Rich

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the tip on the threshold, I been running mine on 4 + to 5 the two days I have had it.
Had a little better day today, but still have a lot to learn.
The beach here in Ormond, is still sanded in quite a bit, I am using the 10"x 14" DD that came with the infinium, but I think I need to get the other large coil
I have read it is suppose to be a little better.
Will post some pictures of my finds later.

Thanks again!!
Bernie,

Hi Rich,

Had a little better day today with the infinium, hunted into the dark, after finding a silver bracelet in the dry sand, thought it was gold, until I got it home and into the light ( 925 ) O' well it's a good start.
I think your right, I might do better with the 14" MONO coil, and from what I have read on some of the posts too.

The waterproof earphones you have, do you get alot of wind noise with them ?
I have been using a CZ-20 for the last 4 or 5 years, and it came with waterproof earphones hard wired to the control box, no changing them with out voiding the warranty. But what I was going to say, the least bit of wind they will sound like a hurricane is coming. Didn't know if Garrett waterproof earphone would do the same.

Thanks for the help and good luck.

Bernie,

Hi again Bernie,
The waterproof earphones I have are the waterproof earphones from Garrett. The outside of them is blue plastic,
(the non-waterproof ones are black). No I haven't noticed any wind noise so I guess that isn't a problem. I also have
the black ones, but I believe the waterproof ones are louder (good for nugget hunting). In desert areas it is nice to
have your ears partially exposed so you can listen for rattlesnakes. (No kidding)
On the coils, the 8 inch MONO seems to have the same depth as the 10x14 DD and is more sensitive to small gold
like nuggets but doesn't scan as large an area. The signal goes down in a cone shape, whereas the DD scans
more like 14". The 14" MONO also searches down in a cone shape pattern but a larger cone than the 8" MONO
and it goes deeper than the 10x14DD, but a little smaller scan than the 10x14 DD. Also the MONO coils are a
little easier to pinpoint and discrimination is a little easier to understand. Also the DD coils are better in highly
mineralized soil, though the MONO coils are usually no trouble in mineralized soil.
Congratulations on your finds,
Rich

Get the serial number, call Garrett and they will be able to tell you when it was built. I am sure Kellyco sells a lot of them, so you should not have any problems. Good luck. Take the time to learn it properly, and it will reward you with a lot of great keepers.