Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

John R. Sinnock Coins - Silver...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

In my 30+ years of detecting, I have found that the most frequently dug silver coins are those designed by John R. Sinnock. Here are 3 examples from my most recent hunt.

I've been having pretty good luck detecting in an older neighborhood and when Kenneth and I went out for a hunt we naturally went to that neighborhood. In the past I had noticed a corner house that was very overgrown with weeds (waist high). The house was abandoned because of a fire. The house has a large front yard and a larger backyard. I said to Kenneth " I KNOW that there is silver there. Lets swing the coils in any clean areas that we can." That's what we did. There weren't too many clean areas but where we were able to swing the coils we were successful. Kenneth dug a beautiful 14K gold man's ring with a diamond and I dug a small silver ring. We both dug some clad and memorials and I dug 3 of John R. Sinnock designed silver coins. The dimes are 1950-S and 1962-D, the Half is 1954-D.The plan is to return to that location this coming Monday with a mower. There should be many more good finds there as we have only searched 15-20% of the yard. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Nothing like doing a little service to the people that own the house by mowing their lawn (in exchange for metal detecting their lawn) . The house will look cleaner after you mow the lawn :detecting:

Thanks Jimmy. The weeds were tallest about 3' on either side of the sidewalk leading up to the front door. That's a prime area for goodies. I am optimistic about tomorrow's hunt. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Waterdog, I'll get those weeds down and I'm sure that the neighbors will be appreciative. The house is an eye sore - burnt roof, sides and overgrown yard. My guess, is that in the next few months the house will be torn down and the lot cleared. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Nice finds! Can't wait to hear/see what pops out of the ground next at that location after you mow.

Give my compliments to Kenneth on that gold ring. It takes a lot of discipline to dig those low conductors at old home sites - they tend to be very trashy.

Good luck guys.

Howdy wasp---

I did pass your kind words to Kenneth . They put a smile on his face. Kenneth is a real pro when it comes to detecting. He has been swinging a White's coil since the 1960's and in fact owned and operated Fireball Electronics which supplied White's detectors to KellyCo and 13 of the south eastern states. He has overcome a lot in his life; a serious oil-field accident that almost took his life in the 1950's. He has braces on his legs and has had 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement. Like many of us detectorists, I tend to save many of the odd things that I find - you just never know when something might come in handy. After Kenneth had his hip replacement and the doctor said that he had to give up detecting, I remembered a metal crutch and a good magnet that I found years ago. We fashioned a digging tool and affixed it to the bottom of the crutch and attached the magnet near the crutch handle where he could stick a boot horn that has a 90 degree angle at the bottom to be able to scoop his finds without bending or kneeling. Kenneth will be 85 in November.

Well, we went back to that burned house and found that both the front and back yards had been mowed! What a relief - I didn't need to mow in the 100+ heat! I had visions of more silver coins and other goodies but it was not to be. In over 3 hours that we hunted, we each dug 1 wheat cent and a few dollars in clad and memorials. We decided to move on to another site but we will keep an eye on that house as it is scheduled for demolition.

We found a corner lot that had recently had 2 homes demolished and the debris removed. It was a no-brainer to give that lot a try. I'll start a new post with the results of that hunt. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I admire Kenneth's perseverance in our hobby as well as the friendship you two share. An inspiration for all of us!!! :beers:

The digging tool is a clever bit of ingenuity! I'm gonna keep that in mind for when the day comes that I need some such device to help me retrieve finds.