Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Joining the fray from Central Washington...

Sasquatch

Howdy folks,
I just re-entered the detecting world by ordering the 705 with the 9" MF CC, 6" LF DD and 6" HF DD. This should be a new experience since the last detector I used was a Garrett VLF/TR (30 years ago), which I wasn't real good with. This forum had alot to do with my order as I poured over many, many pages to help me make my decision. Part of the reason I chose to re-enter the fray is a planned trip to Norway after finding long lost family, and the fact that they still own the old family farm and the oldest building still standing dates back to the 1600's. I hope like heck to get the hang of this thing before that mid-summer trip.

Anyone in the central Washington State area?

Welcome. You have a good detector and some good coils to go with it. You should be pretty good with it by mid summer.

Sasquatch said:
Howdy folks,
I just re-entered the detecting world by ordering the 705 with the 9" MF CC, 6" LF DD and 6" HF DD.

1600 moat likely will be DEEP. If I was you I would look into the coiltek high freq 15" WOT coil for that trip. I searched this yard and I mean hammered it. I used it to learn all my new coulda from the gold coil from the gold pack to minelab 9" - 6" digger coil from coiltek and I just bought the 15" one. I missed 2 silver dimes and 11 wheatheads in the lawn that ive hit so so so many times.... you wont regret it....

I nearly bought the MF 15" coil, but the salesman actually talked me out of it. I have some time to think on it. I almost went for it though. I thought the MF might hit a broader range than the HF?

Sasquatch said:
I nearly bought the MF 15" coil, but the salesman actually talked me out of it. I have some time to think on it. I almost went for it though. I thought the MF might hit a broader range than the HF?
what!!!! Why would he talk you out of it!!!! Its the deepest coil man! I found a old railroad barrel key today well over 12" deep. Check out the link in the forums in this xterra topic. But here check this link out. http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/products/coin-relic-and-treasure-coils/15-all-terrain-x-terra/2012-xterra-test-results/

Yup. He talked me out of it. Said I really didn't need it and I didn't argue. I could probably use some more time to think on it as each frequency is basically 300 bucks, and I want my first choice to be most advantageous.
One of the sites I am going to in Norway is an old family cabin that is a 7 mile hike from the road. It is situated near a lake. The area can be marshy as the rain doesn't penetrate the terrain there well. I am just taking a guess that the soil will be moderately mineralized, but since it's a 13 hour plane ride away, I am just taking a shot in the dark. The cabin was used in the summer months when the cattle were ranging. The cabin dates to the early 1800's I believe, and it was also used by hiking tourists in the early 1900's. Also, I believe and in my aerial recon, I think I might have located another site of an old stone foundation. We're not gonna be at this site for long (overnight), so the detecting hours have to count. I guess what I'm getting at is that anything found in it's vicinity is likley to be of interest and could range from silver to iron to gold. I sure as heck don't want to miss that elusive Viking hoard, so I have to choose wisely with a bit of a gamble!

In the meantime, I'll be gold prospecting in the mineralized ground of central WA state.

You might want to consider contacting forum member EOS.
Mike lives in Sweden, and has detected in Norway a fair amount, so he could give you his opinion of which coil would work well in their soil for targets that you might encounter.

Sounds like a good idea, once I figure out how. Thanks for the info.

I made his user name in my post a link to a page that offers you the option of sending him a message or an e-mail. Just click on the blue EOS in the post above.

Tried that, but the email is hidden and there is no obvious way to message him. I replied to one of his posts and hopefully, he'll see it.
Thanks!

Ha! I see the problem. You need a couple more posts to be able to send private messages.

Checking with locals is always a good idea! From what you say regarding limited time and distance to the hunting area, I would vote to pass on the WOT 15 inch coil. It is a super coil, no criticism there, but it makes a much better tool after the shallow targets are cleaned out. My experience is that big coils are harder to learn and use requiring a lot more use to become proficient. Yes they are usually deeper and let you cover more area quickly, they have a slower recovery time. My 2 cents say spend the $300 on a very good pin pointer and digger set up. Fast recovery maximizes total finds. You may want to ship the tools ahead and only carry the detector with you (EOS would be able to advise on this). Everyone has an opinion and this one is mine! Good luck on the trip, it sounds like a fantastic experience! Can't wait to read about it.
:thumbup: