Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

jst bought a explorer xs

Can anyone tell me how good the XS is. I have seen alot of good reviews and alot of bad ones also so I thought I would ask someone who I know have used them. thanks

The Explorer XS is almost the same machine as the Explorer 2 or the Explorer SE. The Etrac is a little different but it has the same searchfield going down into the ground. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between any of them. That being said, they are one of the best machines out there if not the best.
I just got back from the GRD hunt in Virginia this past weekend. 3 days of searching hundreds of acres of a Yankee camp. There were about 70 guys there using the latest machines-F75, T2, CTX3030, even gpx gold machines. About half the guys spent most of the weekend digging huts while the other half spent the entire weekend trying to get a good signal under their detector coil, me included. The XS I was using and have used for 15 years performed extremely well compared to the other machines. I dug 2 breastplates, 1 U.S. boxplate, lots of 58 cal. bullets, colonial bit boss, 5 or 6 buttons, knapsack hook, percussion caps, even the lid off of a percussion cap tin. Most of these targets were DEEP. The plates were in the 10"-14" range. Many of the bullets were that deep too. I saw a few plates dug from surface hunting but don't think anyone else found more than one.
I think if you take the time to learn how to hear deep targets the XS can be your best machine ever. If you aren't interested in deep stuff and want a light, fast, responsive machine for the 0"-8" range then get a Teknetics F75 or T2.
There are some things that are really different about the Explorers compared to other machines and it might drive you crazy if you don't have some help or read the right references. If you need help with it I'd be glad to help in any way I can. I love talking about detecting and am still excited about the Explorer after 15 years.
Neal Wright
(NealNoIN)

Thanks alot neal. I have a freind that is supposed to show me the bells and whistles the XS has. I have always used whites and I currently use the Blue and Gray but I cant wait for the Xs to get here. I see you were hunting in virginia. What part? I live in harpers ferry and have been trying to find new places to hunt and a couple guys to hunt with . if you are ever in my area send me a message and we can go hunt and you can help me with the stuff my friend dont teach me. But anyway thanks again for the reply. happy hunting and good luck

I agree Tony.
My hunting buddy uses his XS he bought back in 2000 and does very well with it.
I love my XSII and choose it first but, would probably do good with any the Exp lines as like Neil said they are almost alike.
I have an Se Pro and also feel I would be just as successful with it (have been). Its my backup for when the day comes my II goes bad.
Although the XS now is going on almost 14 years imho its still way better then most machines if you take the time to learn and master it.

n/t

Well, that's a kinda loaded question for me.
First of all I hunt in Ferrous tones so the iron pieces I dig would be like old square cut nails that are deep that fool me with a high pitch.
Other then that I do not dig a ton of iron. I rarely even dig up a square nail. I think my last hunt I dug one. I love being able to hunt with my iron grunting.
But, although I believe the Pro coil is more sesitive I prefer the stock 10.5 as it is smoother imho.
Yes, I believe the SE P falses a bit more but, I also believe a lot of that is the coil IMHO.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I finally got it in last week and went out in my field where I have hunted with the whites over and over and found 2 droped 3 ringers and 2 shot 3 ringers all in about a 20 foot area. I also found a brass token in the same area. I really like the MDer. It is also pretty easy to use and I have it on the advanced setting and it is doing awsome

It will find anything the se or the E-trac will find and at pretty much the same depth. Excellent choice but learn it and you will find some really cool stuff :thumbup:

If I'm not mistaken, the one major advantage of the newer models like the SE and SE Pro is they have a lighter weight shaft and stock coil. I have seen several XP's that have been modified and remounted on other shafts (WHites S-shaft and a SOV GT straight shaft) and think that would be the bee's knees.

-David