Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

jumping numbers

oldmoney

I'm fairly new to the hobby, but I jumped right in and bought a nice used Safari and I am not disapointed. I am wondering if it's normal to have a good high pitched sound but have the numbers jump from 34 to 39 and all numbers in between? At times it will hit and stay at 39 for many passes but then starts jumping all over. I have dug when i get this and it seems it is almost always an old square nail.
Also wondering if anyone else has this happen to them and if they ever dig coins when this happens?

oldmoney said:
I'm fairly new to the hobby, but I jumped right in and bought a nice used Safari and I am not disapointed. I am wondering if it's normal to have a good high pitched sound but have the numbers jump from 34 to 39 and all numbers in between? At times it will hit and stay at 39 for many passes but then starts jumping all over. I have dug when i get this and it seems it is almost always an old square nail.
Also wondering if anyone else has this happen to them and if they ever dig coins when this happens?

it is normal, are you swinging it fast?, you have to swing it really slowly or you may get some jumping. Also make sure that you noise cancel and arent near a power line the safari is super sensitive to any form of Telephone line or even Internet Routers. i usually find that it jumps more on trash metals but i have had it jump from 34-39 on quarters before.

Bent rusty nails can definitely jump around. ime, crushed Al cans tend to do this even more tho a big clue on them is that they are much deeper than your display predicts. Listen to the tones and remember how that trash target sounded when you dig it up. Also be sure that you are dealing with just a single target.
Other than that, it sounds like you are already developing how to recognize this very problem.

When this happens to me, it's either I'm close to an underground power line or an overhead line as Wheat Cent indicated or it's a coin spill with a quarter/s at 39 and a penny/s giving you a 34-38 depending on corrosion as in zincolns and depending on soil conditions etc. Here on the West Coast, you don't see the old square headed nails like you get in the older parts of the country so I don't know how they register.

Goldstrike said:
When this happens to me, it's either I'm close to an underground power line or an overhead line as Wheat Cent indicated or it's a coin spill with a quarter/s at 39 and a penny/s giving you a 34-38 depending on corrosion as in zincolns and depending on soil conditions etc. Here on the West Coast, you don't see the old square headed nails like you get in the older parts of the country so I don't know how they register.

Yeah it also jumps on foil so if its going from say 20-38 and back then its probably foil

wheat cent,, being new at this i don't have a reference for what is too fast hrs too slow. That being said i believe i am swinging it slow enough.

Gold strike, I have a couple of coin spills and the reaction from the machine was high tones and a 15 and the number wouldn't jump at all - stayed on 15.

I should have mentioned that the tone was more of a chirp.... like it was locating something small-- this is a feature I am just learning to recognize.

Thanks to all for the info and tips. I am going to hit this house a few more times and play with different settings. I got my first indian head yesterday at this property about 8 inches down and its in great shape, since I have only found clad up to this point I was pretty excited.
Thanks again everyone.