Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Juneau Gold

sepoinak

Hello everybody. New to this forum but prospecting/rec. mining in Juneau for a few years now. I am thinking bout getting a metal detector (Whites GMT?) to do some more remote prospecting in the area. Does anyone know the history of the size of the gold found around here? I have found a few gram plus nuggets in gold creek with the dredge but am wondering if there is anything bigger. Thanks.

I've never found actual nuggets in gold creek but I have found chunky pickers. From what I have read about detectors the gold bug 2 seems like a good choice for our area. Havent gotten out much this season however I do plan on getting out once it starts getting colder and the water drops. Wouldnt mind getting together to do some sluiceing or other prospecting if you ever want.

Yeah the larger "picker" nuggets are very rare... I have only found 3 or 4 in the few years I have been at it. They so far have all been in the gut of the creek in bedrock pockets that you can only get at in Oct, Nov, Dec due to the low (and very cold) water conditions. I actually just returned from dredging for a few hours. I try to go once every weekend, water conditions permitting. It would be great to meet up with someone who shares in the obsession.

Thanks for the reply Steve. Gotta say your journal and other web info is priceless! I heard larger nuggets were found back in the day on nugget creek near the Mendenhall Glacier but I don't know of actual sizes or weights. I have searched for Largest Juneau Nuggets, etc on the web but have found no concrete info. I don't expect to find multi ounce pieces but wonder if one ounce-ish nuggets are possible. There is also a good possibility of gold bearing float and/or mine tailings previously overlooked back in the day.

sepoinak said:
I don't expect to find multi ounce pieces but wonder if one ounce-ish nuggets are possible.

Obviously it is not impossible but basically, no. The challenge for you is to find any gold at all with a metal detector in a generally unfavorable area. The lack if info regarding large gold in the immediate area is not because it is there and everyone forgot to mention it.

what size dredge are you using sepoinak? ive got a 2 inch i need to sell and buy a bigger one. ar you the guy with a green ranger? usted my knee up good bowling tonight but id like to do some prospecting this winter / fall

juneaupanner said:
what size dredge are you using sepoinak? ive got a 2 inch i need to sell and buy a bigger one. ar you the guy with a green ranger? usted my knee up good bowling tonight but id like to do some prospecting this winter / fall
I have a 1.5 inch.... tiny, but I can pack it all in one load. I to am ready for a larger one. I ordered a hopper for it a month ago, but it seems to be lost in the mail. LOL...I am the green ranger guy. Should that be my forum name... Have I met you before? I want to do some prospecting also this fall/winter rather than rec. mining. Maybe take a good long hike back up the Persv. trail hopefully with a new Whites GMT.

Well see if I need knee surgery again hopefully not if so id like to do something before if possible. As of now i cant walk or put pressure on my leg the x ray turned out ok so i gotta get an mri if i cant tough this one out. I belive I met you a while back Cant exactly remember when.