Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Junk to keepers ratio

Richard-N-FL

Hello fellow hunters, I was wondering what is the average junk to keepers ratio? I am starting to get alittle tired of going out for hours and coming home with nothing. I feel like I am one of the few who isnt making any decent finds on a regular basis. I think its because I live in a place with a short history, but yet when I read about finds from Florida many of them are the finds that elude me. I haven't made a silver find in about 6 months and that was just a 1908 barber dime. I hunt every weekend for atleast 2-3 hours sat and sun and just come home with junk. No wheats, mercs and I have yet to find a SLQ after 15 years of hunting :ranting:...so please relaxe my mind and tell me you all have this kind of drought. I am getting tired of it.

Sorry for the long post of me crying...LOL

I have been having a bad year too so far, but mine is not getting out like I should and hitting the same places I have been hitting for 34 years as they are close by. Also I have been trying different detectors too other than the Sovereign GT I have. I do have only 6 silver this year, but hope to get more soon. The silver I have got has been mostly with the GT and also I dig less trash too than the other detectors i have used this year. I find with the Sovereign I seem to dig less trash and more keepers but I have to go slow and listen close to those tones and the areas I do hit have been worked hard and the ones that are left are deep, on edge or close to trash item. What I have to do and you too is try to do research and find some of the older sites that have not been hit hard to get a chance to find some of the older and bigger silver.
Good luck and if you get to a older site where coins can be deep just go real slow and listen close for the deep ones or those close to trash.

Rick

May be the same all over even here in Vancouver BC the beaches were quiet this summer.Taking lots of junk out I probably average 8 hours a week since June.Nine rings maybe 250.00 in clad
a few silver charms/braclets.I have a couple of spots that will give up something but 90% is junk. Have the next two weeks off planning on day trips an hour out and water hunting to try and get the number up. Will do the same in Oct. Have heard the same complaint in our smaller areas but its more the retired people have all day to hunt and the weekenders can't find anything left please hold the tears. Dan

Doesn't look like my other post posted, so My question is "why not use rechargables in the GT (batteries)? Thanks ..Jack

The average is different for everybody.

Small example. Some hunters using the Sovereign, might only dig the numbers on the meter they are confident with, like only 180 or 550 (depending on the meter.), So their trash to good target ratio is good on good targets.

The more junk you dig, the chances of the next being something you totally un-expect start to climb.

I say keep digging and even if you continue to dig lots of pull-tabs, you can always collect them for the Ronald McDonald house in a gallon jug and donate to them. That ends up being lots of money for them to use.

You are sure due for a good find so don't give up.

laterz

ed

The Sovereign requires 12 volts to operate and will give a low battery alert right around the 9 volts. The alkaline batteries are 1.5 volts each so 8 of them will give the 12 volts needed. Now with the rechargeable Ni cad or the Nickle hydride are only 1.2 volts each so 8 of them will be 9.6 volts and enough maybe to run for a while, but not real long time. It almost like running with close to dead alkaline batteries. The factory rechargeable packs have 10 cells in them so they are the 12 volts needed to run. Some use them and say they work for them, some have different problems too and I feel you are just asking for trouble and maybe not getting the performance and missing some great finds. I use the factory rechargeables and have a set of alkalines for a spare in the alkaline pack to use if needed.

Thanks RIck for that answer on the batteries. Its no wonder I start hearing the low battery tone in about an hour or so on the rechargables...I will from now on, use regular batteries....Jack

Thanks for the encouragement Ed. I won't give up just yet. Will they take those rusty dirty dug pulltabs? If they do I will surely save them.