Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just a "settings" thought.

beachguy777

This is for the newcomers or some of us "old guys", like me, who either are still new or havn't done their homework enough. I can't believe it, but I may have been hunting in coin mode on the beach, for the last year or two, and I just realized that the factory preset on coin mode "notches out" 6 thru 8. Well I just read on page 41 of Andy's book where gold can come in at an 8. I'm pretty sure I did an air test on a lady's ring that came in at a 7. Well all I can say is "Holy Mackeral Saphire"... What in the heck was I doing notching out the gold. I either should have been in coin/jewelyr mode, where those numbers are still active or set my own numbers. Sorry Mike, from Virginia Beach, you warned me about that one. :cry: I guess the bottom line on all this is: We're so lucky now to have a detector that "can" notch out specific targets, and through this forum, Andy's book, and just plain experience, we can hunt specifically for what we want. Man what an eye opener, for me at least.:goodnight:

I went out detecting a few weeks ago at a beach, and wondered why I couldn't find the target I thought I got a signal for, and the dirt sand was getting higher, and I'm detecting the growing sand pile, and the bigger hole, when I notice that on my left hand, the hand I use to swipe the sand with, still had my gold ring on it's finger. Well, I stood up and felt like a twit. Thought for a moment I lost my touch, for the signal I kept getting. So off went the ring onto my other hand, and no target!
Golden:wiggle:

Hi 777

Did you miss this post by Doug(Manila)
It shows a lot of gold coming in at 7

I'm going to try and put the post link on here.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,313532,313532#msg-313532

You my have to cut and paste it in the address line of your
browser.

Good Luck
Rick

Why can't you just go by the scale at the bottom that reads "GOLD, ALUMINUM, LEAD" and ignore the numbers? If I lay a gold ring on the ground, different weights and sizes, they all seem to read in that area. Not trying to be a know it all, just trying to learn.

Bubber, that's great advice. I honestly didn't even think of that. If all gold reads in that area, that's a great way to go. The only reason I said "if" was because I did an air test on a couple of friends gold rings and got two different readings. One of them, pure gold, read 7 or 8 (I think) but a buddy at work had a ring with mixed gold, i.e. (white gold, plus differn't karots of gold) and it read at 19. freaked me out. But I have to admit, writing this post, I haven't checked the numbers within that range to see if both of those rings come within those numbers, but that sounds like a really sound idea.

Yea,7 was the reading that I seem to get when I air tested a few rings, except for that mixed gold ring my friend had. He might have even had some silver in with the gold for all I know. I just know it came in at a 19, so it had to have different kinds of metal of some kind in there.

That's a good one Golden. I don't wear jewelry, but I do wear a watch, and that darn watch messed me up a couple of times, so I know what you mean. Sometimes it's the simplest of things that'll get you. I was hunting at the beach yesterday, at low tide, mind you, but still couldn't find a darn thing. I think I was just having "one of those days" but also I kept getting some spurious noises and finally realized I had my coil cover on, and when I took it off later there was a bunch of sand and salt water in there. I know that can play havoc with falsing, or at least I believe it, but I hate to scrub the sand without the cover. I may try sealing the cover first with silicone, but I'm worried there might be a leak in the silicone and I'd never know it, because at that point I wouldn't be able to "redily" take off the cover to check it out. Gee, what other kind of insane things can I come up with here, but I'm serious. I hate to wear out the coil bottom, but I hate cleaning the cover all the time, but if I seal it off, will I be able to do a good seal job. What's a mother to do, (as they say)?????:(:nono::|