Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just a thought..but one I think that has some merit.

XLT-user

After lots of thought and consideration on what I am typing here, here is my take on metal detecting.

If your new and want to detect I am not so certain you should not buy an older machine ( Used) first. Learn it well.Then get the next model up machine learn it well. So on, and so on till you get up to the present day technology.

You learn so much from the older models. You develop interpretation skills that are invaluable to using today's machines. You can of course go out buy a top end machine and get good results.(BUT) if you have used prior models you have evolved with the newer technology and have first hand experience as you go.

Sometimes your understanding of detecting and the way a machine works and it's offered bells and whistles is a big part of the success you are looking for.
I think it's important for the right mind set and your learned abilities ,as it is the equipment you use.

I own several new high end detectors, and several older( High end then) detectors and learned and developed skills from each unit. That's just a thought and I am sure it's up for debate, but a learn as you go approach does work. Some new machines are so far out there with settings that without basic skills a new detectorists trying to use them will get very frustrated. Detecting like all things can be a fun exciting good results hobby, or a frustrating aggravating experience. It's knowledge and practice that gets the good results.Even with knowledge and practice there will be bad days.Learning on older equipment does have it's merits.

I pretty much agree. I'm a real believer (maybe because it's the way i've done it) that a person should start with a basic beep and dig machine before moving up. I have several newer TID machines in my arsenal now, but when hunting I'm going by the signal before checking the display which I use as reinforcement of what the tone tells me. I still have several beep and dig machines as well and all of them seem to find the goodies if they're in the ground and I'm doing my part..
BB

... and was doing so today. They all do the same thing, after all. The one thing I am impressed with is the ability of some detectors to give a fairly accurate determination on target size. That is something that could be expanded across the industry.

I also use some older detectors, here and there, and you are right - older doesnt mean bad. Some of them stil work well in the hands of an experienced user.
Although I am trying trying to trim them out of the stable, these days.
Often the one thing the older detectors were, no matter how a capable, was that they were heavier than I like. The Eagle SL II is a good example.
Great detector and near the equal of any made today, but it balances in such a way that gets to my elbowtinitous. That's why Im selling it and moving to something newer within it's niche of high end general purpose unit. Anybody want to buy it? Hint hint?

I have been detecting for 20 years now and am no raw newbie. But I still maintain a wide range of detectors from basic models to high enders. The one thing I find they all have in common? We would all do much better if we got to nkow our machines better and dug more.

hello all, after nearly 28 years in the hobby, i still prefer my beep and dig machines. my pioneer 202 is a decent tid machine, found a boatload with it, but still use the cibola 80% of the time. i agree with xlt user in that starting out with an older machine might be a good idea for some people, but not all. back when i started out, that's all that were made... the good 'ol beep and dig machines. so, many of us had no choice but to start out with an older machine!
i'm not knocking the newer machines at all. a lot of them are great units. i think some of it has to do with the way we hunt and what we're looking for. at the end of the day, it's really about what we decide to dig or not dig. like dahut, i'm always looking for a lighter machine too. it got old real quick swinging my heavy old nautilus. my next purchase will be the tesoro tejon! thanks, and hh,

I remem when I was doin it 35 years ago, I dug more than now. No disc, well I bid on an older Whites on ebay and won. I think it probably is from the late 70s. It has disc on it. Might be sorry:sadwalk: I did get it. It's a coinmaster G.E.B. DISCRIMINATOR. Never had this one, but did have made by whites.

Don't be sad that you didn't get that GEB discriminator you bid on. I found White's right around 1974. Had the Coinmaster V Supreme. A great detector, but NO discriminator. Bought the next model with the discriminator and a couple after that, all disc models and they were awful. It was new technology and was not achieving any usable depth. I still like the analog way of setting threshold and hearing the faint targets, something the digital machines just can't really duplicate. But as far as target separation and raw depth, new is better at least for me.

I have had a lot of metal detectors and agree you learn a lot by using different units.My strategy was find a used metal detector at a good price and try it out in the field if it doesn't workout or what you expected put it back on the auction block.Most of the time you can come out ahead on a resale.Far as beep and go units the more experienced hunter I became the more appreciation of(fun) these metal detectors.Happy Hunting Ron