Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just another reason "not" to get an Olympus 770sw or similar camera :thumbdown:

They sucks. There customer service is no better either.

Less than 3 yrs old, it died once again after hitting the water- and ruined yet another memory card. The 3rd time in as many years. The first time it was covered under warranty, the 2nd cost me, and now the want me to pay $111.00 for new seals and display. :yikes:
They say the camera is supposed to have its seals replaced annually to maintain water tightness ($29 fee).

My advise to all-- look else wheres.

I bought a SeaLife from Scbua.com about 2 years ago. The first leaked they sent me a new one. The second leaked after a few trips in the water, Sealife sent me a new one. I ask Sealife then if they a had problem and the guy siad no. He told me sa soon as I get the new one(third one) to put it in a bucket of water and try it. I did and I've had it for about 2 years now and never another problem. They were so kind the guy sent me a $30 float strap that attaches to the camera in case you drop it in the water for my troubles. Nice camera and nice company to deal with. I think I paid around $125 for it.

Glad I saw this thread! I'll keep looking...

Theres only two things you can do to get a reliable waterproof camera. Obviously water resistant is not enough. Go waterproof!! That gets you down to just a few choices. The top two IMHO ...Get a Nikonos. Pricey and 35mm not digital. Get one of many simple pocket cameras, Google Ikelite Housings and find a housing that's made for your camera. Every function on that camera will work as there are waterproof controls going through the camera hull to activate and change them. I think they are good for 250' of pressure and are supposed to be neutrally buoyant. They cost about $250. How much have you spent on your cheapy try to get by cameras? They are bigger and bulkier but not too bad. Much better than they used to be. Your camera goes into an injection molded plexiglass type case that just fits your camera. It has a genuine made for diving seal on the case and water will not get into your camera. Not through that O-ring nor past the rings in the control pieces. You do have to open the case after your water trip and take the camera out and get the pictures out however you do it. But, that' better than opening the camera memory card port and having water drip out. jim

Had mine for two years now with no problems.
Use it in the pool every summer.
Rinse it off in fresh water after every use in salt water.
I will look into getting the seals replaced but I do keep the seals clean and silicone grease on them.

Here is an inexpensive waterproof camera:
http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=20052&Click=205964

There is a new waterproof camera out made by Pentax:
http://www.nextag.com/Pentax-Optio-W90-12-725149798/prices-html

Willee

gold-digger said:
They sucks. There customer service is no better either.

Less than 3 yrs old, it died once again after hitting the water- and ruined yet another memory card. The 3rd time in as many years. The first time it was covered under warranty, the 2nd cost me, and now the want me to pay $111.00 for new seals and display. :yikes:
They say the camera is supposed to have its seals replaced annually to maintain water tightness ($29 fee).

My advise to all-- look else wheres.

Willee...I googled both of the URLs you listed. The cheapy one listed second, had no reviews. It claimed waterproof to 50'. That's a plus. They also did not try to waterproof a land camera with seals they put it into an acrylic case. The Pentax had one review and like everyone else has pointed out, his failed in the swim pool just before he left for a snorkeling vacation with his family. The Pentax listed for the same price as the case from Ikelite. Another $120 to put a camera in a real case and your problems are over forever.

I think the point that many miss is that a water resistant camera is going to do fine in heavy rain or a splash while taking pictures in the water during family fun time. Anything more than that you exceed the quality and design of the surface camera to which they just added seals and slight mods. The ONLY camera that has been used for years by divers, and that's mostly always underwater, is the Nikonos. I repeat, SLR Nikons, Hasseblads, and all the other 'real' cameras always go into custom made housings or into Ikelite housings. I have a $120 Nikon coolpix, and when it needs to take pictures in the water environment, it's going into an Ikelite housing first.

No! I do not work for Ikelite nor do I own any of their stock. They do underwater really well and have for years for lots of different electronic devices. You'd do yourself a favor if you reviewed their products carefully before you put money into another 'underwater', water resistant (not), camera. jim