Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just Bandido µMax

Bryan V

What did I just buy?
I just bought what looks to be a really nice Bandido µMax
Not a Bandido II. Not a Bandido II µMax. Just Bandido µMax
What's the difference between these models?
Bryan

The main difference is the model you purchased doesn't have the external threshold adjustment control knob. The threshold is set at the factory by an internal trim-pot adjustment.

Nice! A bit of a sweeter target audio response on coins, than the II Umax. At least that was the case when I owned both. I actually used the Umax alot more since I rarely required an external threshold control as far as hunting school yards, the ground control on the Umax was sufficient to obtain a working default threshold. Enjoy!

I see.. Thanks.
I was thinking since the dial was not on the face plate that maybe It was on the back or under the housing.

Bryan

Bryan V said:
What did I just buy?
I just bought what looks to be a really nice Bandido µMax
Not a Bandido II. Not a Bandido II µMax. Just Bandido µMax
What's the difference between these models?
Bryan
Tesoro made four models in the Bandido series:

Bandido
3/'90 to 6/'93
Op. Freq.: 10 kHz
Audio Tone: 625 Hz
Threshold control: A small knob/shaft protrudes through the control housing with an end inserted into the Threshold trimmer on the circuit board for external control.

Bandido II
1/'93 to 9/'97
Audio Tone: 625 Hz
Threshold control: A small knob/shaft protrudes through the control housing with an end inserted into the Threshold trimmer on the circuit board for external control.

Bandido µMAX
3/'96 to 3/'98
Op. Freq.: 12 kHz
Audio Tone: 300 Hz
Threshold control: No external Threshold control.

Bandido II µMAX
10/'97 to 1/'01
Audio Tone: 630 Hz
Threshold control: A quality variable Threshold control on the front display faceplate.

The Bandido µMAX was also labeled the µMAX Bandido. It was designed based on the Sidewinder µMAX, made from 2/'96 to 5/'98, and was an attempt to bring the manual GB Bandido series concept to the new [size=small]micro[/size]MAX control housing. It was a shift from 10 kHz to 12 kHz as used with the turn-on-and-go Sidewinder series and first three models of the Silver Sabre series. But it used a much lower Audio Tone, according to the Owner's Manual, and as noted, it lacked the handy and versatile external Threshold adjustment. That feature was especially missed by those who used an earlier Bandido model for Gold Nugget Hunting, and also by many avid Relic Hunters and even devoted Coin Hunters. It was missed.

The [size=small]micro[/size]MAX Bandido manual says it uses the High Gain circuitry for added performance, but I was an active Tesoro Dealer back then and I felt I had a little better and louder response performance from my original Bandido and Bandido II. I didn't care for the Bandido µMAX due to the lack of an external Threshold control, and the lower-sounding audio. Part of that might have been due to the Low Tone Audio they used, but also to the smaller-size speakers used in the [size=small]micro[/size]MAX housings compared with the larger-size speakers in other models.

The Bandido µMAX was shorter lived and didn't seem to sell as well as the former models and especially not like the Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX, which I quickly included in my arsenal back then, and have maintained one almost continuously ever since. They returned to the 10 kHz operation, and added a nice variable Threshold pot for front control panel adjustment. Also, when I compared all four Bandido series models, the µMAX Bandido seemed to be just a little weaker in detection depth and signal response on mid-depth and deeper targets, more like the first two Bandido's or even a little weaker.

The Bandido II µMAX does have the Low-Noise/High-Gain circuitry and, using the same search coils, generally provides slightly better depth, and a little louder response on mid-depth and deeper targets than the first three models. However, one thing I noticed from the first released Bandido II µMAX, while it does reasonably well in iron debris, as most Tesoro's do, in really dense iron it struggles a bit compared with at least the first two Bandido's that lacked the 'Low-Noise/High-Gain' circuitry. Other pre-µMAX models, like the Pantera, Golden Sabre II, Silver Sabre II, etc. also could work a little quieter, less 'ticky' and unmask a little better in really dense iron than the Bandido II µMAX.

To be honest, it has been a while and I don't clearly recall how the Bandido µMAX compared because I didn't use it, but I believe it handled iron a little better as well.

Monte

Thanks for the Bandido series schooling Monte.
It will interesting to see how the Bandido µMax performs.
I'm glad to see it has a different 12kHz operating frequency and 300 Hz Audio.
makes it a bit unique. Hopefully in a good way.

Bryan

Received my Bandido µMax today and was pleasantly surprised. Almost new condition.
Looks like it's only been used a time or two.
Anyway the Bandido µMax is listed in the Tesoro Manual as having 300 Hz Audio like Monte said but is clearly much higher.
It's a little higher than my Conquistador.. It's about equal to a Tejon with the tone dial set at around 4:00..
High but very smooth.
I think the fixed threshold is going to be a non issue. It sounds perfect as its set.

Bryan