Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just can't make my mind up!

Rainyday101

Looking at getting a new detector within the next month and can't make my dam mind up! I want a deep coin seeker and have been looking at the Tejon and F70. I change my mind daily. If funds get tight I could just settle for a Vaq. or Cibola. My soil is mild and sandy and them coins get deep in the sand. I considered an Omega, but one of our trusty Tesoro users had one and changed my mind for me! I am not considering the F70 because it has a display, more because it is deep and has multi tones. Then I get this thought process that says you know the single tone of Tesoro well, get the Tejon and get hunting instead of spending all summer learning something new. HELP!!! Any opinions?

My preference would be the tejon I am leaning back that way myself . I don't care much for fisher s but they are good machines . I like the Tejon really well

i bought a vaquero several months back and have been pleased. price wise--mid way between between the cib and tejon, the ability to ground balance and the array of coils were the selling points. i recently purchased the 10x12 widescan and have had 2 outings with it. two coils--two different jobs. the dd is definately better in open areas and my plan is to use mostly for my relic hunts. the stock coil--fantastic for pinpointing. i prefer the all metal mode--(it's just deeper)--then i work the dial to see what gives--i dig most anything above the iron markings as my geographics include many civil war related properties. only thing i don't like is the deer bleat sound-ugh.

i guess the real question is--do you need to ground balance?

I guess if I want max depth yes.

My Silver uMax gets fairly deep for no ground balance. I am not an all metal hunter, as I am usually looking for deep silver. No civil war stuff up her in Midwest Yankee land. One thing I do wonder about with the Tejon though is- does it go from being a depth demon in all metal mode to a so-so detector with some discrimination, say enough disc to knock tabs and still get zincolns up?

Anybody use both a f70 and a Tejon?

kimbershot said:
i bought a vaquero several months back and have been pleased. price wise--mid way between between the cib and tejon, the ability to ground balance and the array of coils were the selling points. i recently purchased the 10x12 widescan and have had 2 outings with it. two coils--two different jobs. the dd is definately better in open areas and my plan is to use mostly for my relic hunts. the stock coil--fantastic for pinpointing. i prefer the all metal mode--(it's just deeper)--then i work the dial to see what gives--i dig most anything above the iron markings as my geographics include many civil war related properties. only thing i don't like is the deer bleat sound-ugh.

The Vaquero would be just about perfect IF it weren't for its audio tone. It's offered in LOW and EXTREMELY HIGH audio tones. Somewhere in between would be perfect. The only reason that I prefer the Tejon over the Vaquero is because I can adjust the audio tone on the Tejon to my liking. Other than that, I'd pick the Vaquero in a heartbeat.

I wonder if I'm the only one that feels that way?

tabman

I do find the audio on the Deleon to be about perfect. The Vaquero is quite a bit lower. I'm used to it though. When I had my Tejons I always ran in VCO. I found it very useful for judging depths.

Just downloaded from Amazon the Kindle for a PC and "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero" After reading this I am going to get the Tejon and some Grey Ghost headphones for a little less than the F70. If you own a Vaq or Tejon, this download book should be a must read to get the most out of your machine. I have no doubt whatsoever that the F70 is a fine detector, but I am already well versed in the Tesoro tone, so the Tejon seems to make good sense. I hope the Cazador is a low freq, deep silver seeker. If it is, sign me up on the waiting list.

No That tone on the Vaq was its only downfall for me as well needs a more mellow tone such as the old Banditio

I was looking at the Vaquero to, but also didn't like the sound and purchased a Tejon. I am running the machine in the VCO mode at this point.

Surprisingly, no it doesn't lose much depth with discrimination applied, in good to moderate ground. With the soil conditions you describe, you would still get plenty of depth for coins. The Tejon is designed for deep relics, but since coins are usually only down to 8" or 9" max, you should be able to get that easily with your discrimination turned up to knock out tabs, although I wouldn't run it that high. You'll lose some jewelry if you run it that high.

i bought a vaquero last week. being my first md. i am pleased with it. there are video on you tube where they put it up against much more expensive ones. the vaquero does the same and more. for my limited say. id get the vaquero..

Finally! Ive been following your forum posts on a few different sites and was wondering when you'd pull the trigger! You were wise to scratch the 705 off your list. It is a really good machine for hunting in the trash and gets pretty good depth (up to eight inches, but most of the time 6-ish), but not the depth you're looking for.

Good luck with the Tejon, and please let me know how it does on deep coins. Ive asked a few times on the forums but everyone that has one uses it for relics. Im still looking at a modded Cibola, a Tejon, or hold out for a Cazador....

Mojotrout, I know the 705 is a good detector, but everything I read never led to it being a depth demon. I was worried that for the extra money it would cost, it wouldn't give me enough extra depth over the Silver. If you get a chance, download the Kindle for a PC app. and the book "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero". Quite a good read. Looks like it was written by the guy from NJ Minerals and he has put these two detectors thru their paces to learn them really well. I love what I have read about the F70 and it's depth. The guys on this forum and others using them are doing really well. The thing is, I know the Tejon is deep and I am already well versed in the Tesoro way with beep and dig, so the Tejon seems like a logical choice. It seems all the deep detectors can get a little chatty and that should be expected because they are soooo sensitive. I spent the winter researching a lot of detectors from all the major US manufacturers and found it is more of a matter of finding a detector that fits your needs well, and then learning it inside and out. The guy that wrote "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero" has obviously done that. From what I read he reads these forums and probably post here, just don't know what is handle is.

I just got my 8 year old a new F2. I wanted to get him a Compadre, but he wanted a screen to amuse him. That's fine with me though, because the screen and tones keep his attention longer, and that is important when hunting with a young kid. Gotta admit that the F2 is impressive. For $200 dollar I got the detector with the standard 8" coil, a 4" coil and the Fisher pinpointer. The pinpointer works good enough for him. If were up to me I would have gotten the Compadre, but in the end it wasn't my decision alone.

So after I get that Tejon, the Tesoro count will be up to 3.

Rainday101, that book sounds like a great read. Are you saying you can purchase it and read it on your computer without having to buy a Kindle?

Is it anything like this?: http://metaldetectings.com/e107_files/public/tesoro_tejon_tips_ii.pdf

The above link is a must read regardless of which Tesoro you swing. It's about time for me to read it again.

tabman

tabman said:
Rainday101, that book sounds like a great read.
Is it anything like this?: http://metaldetectings.com/e107_files/public/tesoro_tejon_tips_ii.pdf

The above link is a must read regardless of which Tesoro you swing. It's about time for me to read it again.

tabman

That's a good one download , that is the one I made up and distributed free on my website that is now being distributed from other sites as well.
Gee I could have kept the info and rewrote it all into a many chapter book and made some money to buy another Tesoro...LOL

I occasionally make up these guides to help me when I purchase a new detector. I save all the useful info across the forums to reference and
help learn the detector. Forums are filled with a wealth of good info, just have to sort thru them and save what is valuable. Hey, its free.

Tabman, you just need to download the "Kindle for PC" app from Amazon and then you can read Kindle e-books on your PC. I don't have a Kindle, but have the app on both my PC and smartphone. Definitely recommend the "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero" e-book for any Tesoro owner.

Yeah Tabman, you download the app to make your computer a kindle reader. The app is free at Amazon. Then you pay $9.95 for the book, download it, and read it on the kindle reader app. Google- amazon kindle app for pc. You will find the amazon link. Then search the book title and download. After you download the book, open up the kindle app and click on your books in that app. The book will be there. Not knowing diddly about a kindle, my wife had to help me on that one. I would post the links but I am not sure if it violates any forum rules. The book is about 100 pages and is an easy read. It is a real eye opener on the use of these detectors. I was positive I was going to get the F70 until I read the whole thing last night and I am not knocking the F70 one bit. This book just teaches you how to get the most out some great beep and digs. When all is said and done I can get the Tejon for about $110 less than the F70. After reading this book I am sure the Tejon is capable of what I want to do and will meet my needs. Plus if I get ring hungry, the Tejon is no slouch on gold. Then there is that lifetime warranty, it's hard to turn a blind eye on that.

Sven, your PDF is awsome and I have read that several times. I commend you for writing it and always take the time to read your post no matter what forum you are on. You are right though, you could have made enough money on that to buy another Tesoro or two.

This book covers the detectors really well, with great tips and settings Tesoro never even dreamed of or knew about. Covered well is digital vs. analog and the strengths and weaknesses of each, how and why an analog wins at audio response, and more, and more. The authors understanding of analog circuits really helps him know how to exploit these detectors to get max effectiveness out of them. I thought I knew all I needed to know about the sounds and tricks for checking targets- I was wrong, I learned a lot. I will probably read this thing another 10 times. Easily the best $9.95 I ever spent. And no I am not on a commission or any way affiliated with this book. I just thought it was an awsome read and think other Tesor users will enjoy and learn from it.

Seriously though, if Tesoro were smart, they would offer a free copy or download of this with every Tejon or Vaq. It is better than anything they ever wrote. One of Tesoro's weaknesses is their out of date, non-updated, type writer written instructions.

I'm halfway through reading "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero". It's worth every penny spent and then some. Not only should it be a must read for every Tesoro user, it should be a must read for anyone who uses a metal detector. I bet a lot of people who have never used a Tesoro detector would jump on the band wagon after reading this book.

tabman

I agree. A lot of great information. I read it last week, but now that I have another Tejon on the way, I think I will read it again.

tabman said:
I'm halfway through reading "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero". It's worth every penny spent and then some. Not only should it be a must read for every Tesoro user, it should be a must read for anyone who uses a metal detector. I bet a lot of people who have never used a Tesoro detector would jump on the band wagon after reading this book.

tabman

Good point Tabman, it is a good read for anyone metal detecting. Yes, I agree, it is worth every penny spent. I am glad you downloaded it and are reading it. No coin or ring will be safe from you now! It kind of helped me make my mind up on getting the Tejon. It's kind of like reading the Fisher forum if you don't own a fisher, those guys still have a lot of great info and experience and you can learn a lot from them.

My buddy just got a Tejon and has been finding old wheaties and indian heads along with 4 silvers at depths of 10" plus in our mild sandy soil. He said that he just turns the disc. up to knock out tabs and good clean sounding hits are mostly coins. He also said that his 10" hits are clear and not whispers, so I find this quite impressive as to the capabilites of depth in mild soil with the Tejon. He said every place he has hunted needs to get hunted again with the new found depth of this detector.