Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just curious!!!

beachguy777

Every time I get on Kellyco's website I see that beautiful Explorer II with the really cool looking bluish light on the face plate. Is that for real, and if so, could (maybe) the Quatro be retrofited with that same light for us. (I'll be Mike know's the answer to that one):)

Well, I'll bet Minelab COULD do the backlight for the Quattro, but if they wanted to I think they would have done it. That's one of the features the more expensive Explorer II has. And more "tweakability". And yes, it's for real. There's a "Backlight" button and when you push it, you get that pretty (It's actually "greenish" if you ask me) lit screen. I've used it before...once on the beach for a night hunt and a couple of times land hunting when I ran out of daylight. It's pretty cool.

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you'd respond to that, cause I know you have an Explorer. Ah heck, you are so right about the higher end models. I guess if you want to buy a cadallac you gotta pay for a cadallac and not a chevrolet, or something like that. I was thinking of that kind of stuff when I was trying to make a decision whether to by an Explorer or a Quatro. I remember calling Bonnie over at Kellyco and crying on her shoulder so to speak trying to make a decision and honestly what it came down to was the extra 300 bucks or so for the Explorer that I just couldn't afford yet. I still can't, but I knew I wanted the two number readout and the Iron mask sounded pretty cool, but I was really going in to hock big time just to buy the Quatro, so I talked myself out of the Explorer, but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to have one some day. I think that and one of the Excalabur's are the next ones I'd love to get. I was so worried that I might not like the Quatro near as much as I would the Explorer II, but now that I have it and have used it a while I'm very pleased with it. It also makes me feel better when I hear you talk about how decent the depth is on the Quatro, even compared to the Explorer and stuff like that. I'm really glad you're sharing that information withe everyone cause you know we all have to be curious about that. I always figure if you talk to the man that owns one, he's usually gonna give you the straight skinny on the deal.
Well next time I'm tryin' to hold a flashlight on the face plate, swingin that bad boy in the dark at some desolate beach somewhere, I'm gonna remember that pretty green light you have on your Explorer and I'm gonna wonder, why I didn't at least put together that other light system they were talking about a while back on the forum. I'm just kiddin, Mike. I just got of my work shift delivering medical specimins and I'm just slap happy. Mike, you have a good night, and keep on sending those cool pictures you send. I love em.:)

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy didn't they put a backlight on the Quatro? Surely isn't isn't price related. I want one soooooooooo bad and have been reading your forum for awhile now and it's great. It was a shock when I read awhile back that there is no backlight. Can you detect fairly well by the sounds? I have an old Whites Eagle Sprectrum and it's even got a backlight, lol. Thanks-Mark San Antonio

You can get one of these for $10 at Wal-Mart. Fit's comfortably on your head and throws out a LOT of light. Lasts 60 hours on a few AAA batteries. Has a "stealth" redlight mode too. And it's a lot cheaper than buying an Explorer II. :D

Great!!! I like it, I like it, I like it, and you're right. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying an Explorer II. I may even have one of those in the closet somewhere. I used to have one for camping trips. I'm glad you thought of that, and it would throw some light on the whole area your searching in too. Good idea.

Well, like Mike says, it's probably the dinero (money) factor. If you put too much cool stuff on the Quatro, nobody's gonna wanna by the Explorer II. It's kind of like the difference between a Honda Accord and an Acura. You just get some extra stuff and quality with the Acura, but you pay more for it. Anyway, somebody should call Minelab and see if they couldn't retrofit a back light on the Quatro, and if so, how much??? I'll try and remember to call Minelab in Las Vegas monday, but if someone beats me to it, let us know what you find out. Happy hunting, even if it's in the dark. Don't forget, you can still use a flashlight or a head lantern.:)