Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just got a "new" explorer XS

azdigger

Just got a new explorer XS, was told it has never been used. Got it home opened the carry case , took it out....no battery or pack. Now to find one so I can learn.
My question is , what would be better - Rechargable pack or the AA pack with alkalines in it.
Thanks
Rick

There is no such thing as a new Explorer any more and if it was it would have a battery pack , sounds pretty naughty not to have had one . How would you know if it worked ?
And if it had never been used , where is the battery pack ?
If you want a good battery pack then buy the RNB , may be expensive but will take 2 hours to charge and lasts more than 30 hours instead of a Minelab's pack of about 10 hours for 16 hours charging time.
Good luck , unless if picked the machine up from the seller i would not have bought it , i would have wanted the battery to check it works first.

Weird stuff happens,I'd like to know how this one turns out. I assume the price was right? A BRAND NEW Explorer might be something a dealer had and forgot about in storage or it got misplaced and written off years ago,but....let us know how it goes.

What I was told this was in the closet and dealer passed.....wife was selling lots of stuff, also got a Musketeer at a great price.
I bought 2 explorers at a very good price. There is no marks to speak of on the coils So I will get a battery holder and give 'em a try.

Well my NIB Explorer II is now two weeks old. A friend bought one for him and one for his wife in 2005. He still uses his and hers was never opened.
Still in the box with everything it came with. I'm accustomed to the Sovereign GT so I'm just now figuring out all the beeps squeaks, menus and display items.
It's going to take a while....heh heh. It seems easier to turn on and go than the Sovereign but not nearly as deep reading. I'm happy with it as a back up detector.
Good luck with yours.

K4INC said:
Well my NIB Explorer II is now two weeks old. A friend bought one for him and one for his wife in 2005. He still uses his and hers was never opened.
Still in the box with everything it came with. I'm accustomed to the Sovereign GT so I'm just now figuring out all the beeps squeaks, menus and display items.
It's going to take a while....heh heh. It seems easier to turn on and go than the Sovereign but not nearly as deep reading. I'm happy with it as a back up detector.
Good luck with yours.

:D , when i had a Sovereign Elite back in 2003 i bought it as a back up to my Explorer XS .
If you set the Explorer up right it will be as deep as the Sovereign and easier to understand the target info too. Trust me.

And put 8 rechargeable low discharge NIMH batteries in each. Batteries less than $2. They will last several detecting sessions and will stay charged for years. You'll need a decent NIMH charger if you don't have one, I have a four battery charger and can charge all eight batteries in a few hours.

Chris

Got good news, went back to the person I bought the machine from and got the battery packs , chargers and instructions for it , now to learn....sure makes weird sounds compared to my Gold Bug 2

Nuke em said:

:D , when i had a Sovereign Elite back in 2003 i bought it as a back up to my Explorer XS .
If you set the Explorer up right it will be as deep as the Sovereign and easier to understand the target info too. Trust me.

Nuke em,
Maybe you could share some of the settings with me. I've gone over the forums pretty well and tried several.
While the Explorer II is really impressing me I can't get near the depth I get with the sovereign GT. I'm fairly new to the Minelab Ex II but been detecting quite a while.
I'm basing my depth testing on a test bed we've had buried for 30+ years.
The etrac notices it, the 3030 finds it and the GT but I've yet to get a setting that will find the really deep ones with the Ex II or XS.
I'm certainly open for education and welcome any and all suggestions. I just like finding stuff deep or shallow.....heh heh

you bought 2 and neither one had a battery? check back with her there may be a battery around that she could send you.

I did and have the batteries and chargers and also a Sun Ray probe for one of the machines.
I have decided to sell them and keep my gold bug instead.

K4INC said:
Nuke em said:

Nuke em,
Maybe you could share some of the settings with me. I've gone over the forums pretty well and tried several.
While the Explorer II is really impressing me I can't get near the depth I get with the sovereign GT. I'm fairly new to the Minelab Ex II but been detecting quite a while.
I'm basing my depth testing on a test bed we've had buried for 30+ years.
The etrac notices it, the 3030 finds it and the GT but I've yet to get a setting that will find the really deep ones with the Ex II or XS.
I'm certainly open for education and welcome any and all suggestions. I just like finding stuff deep or shallow.....heh heh

Tell me all your settings and what your screen discrim is like then i will give you adjustments to make . Also which coil have you got on the Explorer 11 ?

azdigger said:
I did and have the batteries and chargers and also a Sun Ray probe for one of the machines.
I have decided to sell them and keep my gold bug instead.

Ok??......are they sold or are you in the process of selling them? I'd sure be interested in one or maybe the X-1??

Rick,did you just buy a Classic 3 from Keith Southern also? Didn't know if it's the same "Rick" from AZ....:)

Nuke em said:
Tell me all your settings and what your screen discrim is like then i will give you adjustments to make . Also which coil have you got on the Explorer 11 ?

My settings vary a lot depending on trashy sites or fairly clean sites. I pay a lot of attention to Mike M's site and find his explanation of "patterns" to be excellent and understandable.

My average settings:
Display - smart (no numbers please. I prefer sounds)
Manual Sensitivity - 22-26 (clean site) 16-20 (very trashy sites)
Auto (if used) set to 26 and let the II do the adjusting
Threshold - just audible
Iron Mask - Off ( -6 to -10 if searching in that mode)
Sounds - Conductive
Response - Normal or 1 (clean or trashy)
Recovery - Deep ( clean) Fast (trashy)
Variability - 10
Limits - 10
Gain- 5-9

Don't get me wrong, the EX II is finding things with the small coil that the GT never knew was there.
Albeit slow, it is dong a great job in the trashy areas. I just today found 3 wheats (1941) Buffelo Nickle (no date) and a 1916 Merc in a school yard I've been over many times. So have many others, so it's working fine. I just wanted the depth of my GT while using the stock or Hunter coil on the II

Nuke em said:

Tell me all your settings and what your screen discrim is like then i will give you adjustments to make . Also which coil have you got on the Explorer 11 ?[/quote]

My settings vary a lot depending on trashy sites or fairly clean sites. I pay a lot of attention to Mike M's site and find his explanation of "patterns" to be excellent and understandable.

My average settings:
Display - smart (no numbers please. I prefer sounds)
Manual Sensitivity - 22-26 (clean site) 16-20 (very trashy sites)
Auto (if used) set to 26 and let the II do the adjusting
Threshold - just audible
Iron Mask - Off ( -6 to -10 if searching in that mode)
Sounds - Conductive
Response - Normal or 1 (clean or trashy)
Recovery - Deep ( clean) Fast (trashy)
Variability - 10
Limits - 10
Gain- 5-9

Don't get me wrong, the EX II is finding things with the small coil that the GT never knew was there.
Albeit slow, it is dong a great job in the trashy areas. I just today found 3 wheats (1941) Buffelo Nickle (no date) and a 1916 Merc in a school yard I've been over many times. So have many others, so it's working fine. I just wanted the depth of my GT while using the stock or Hunter coil on the II

Dont use DEEP , use FAST , on the deep setting it has filters which slow the machine down and maybe lose depth , thats what i have heard and thats what i do now.
Stock coil ? as in the black one like the X.Terra 10 in DD ? not the best , i use the E.Trac Pro coil.
Hunter ?as in Nell ? , i used that a while back and did not find it deep .
Adjust the threshold pitch to 1 , all the tones that are deep will be different then readjust the tone to just audible .

Dont use any Minelab presets or similar , they will mask targets .
Knock out nails top left and do the same sort of pattern bottom left.

You wont be able to use numbers on deep targets unless obvious iron , check for deep iron by lifting the coil 6 inches , if there it could be iron but ferrous numbers will be high anyway.

The Sovereign is a true all iron detector which the Explorer and others aren't but the Sovereign does have its drawbacks and nulls just as much .