Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just got a new F5 yesterday

Seems like a nice machine so far, and it's built very well. Gonna compare it with my Omega and see how it rates. If it's anywhere close it will be one heck of a machine.

I think you will enjoy it.
HH
Mike

I've been playing with it out in my yard and am pretty impressed with it so far. It doesn't have the iron range of the Omega (0 to 40 on the Omega), and the number system is different so it will take a little getting used to. The balance seems perfect to me but I hunt close to my feet. I'm going to hunt with it all winter and leave my other machines hanging on their rack. I dug a small buckle that ID'd in the nickel range, but I could have easily missed it with my other machines. But it did lock on pretty good at about 6 inches. I've had many machines over the years, and the best one I ever had was the one I enjoyed hunting with the most. And the F5 seems like it will be a lot of fun. For whatever reason, it seems a little better built than the Omega. No matter, whatever good finds I make this winter will be made with the F5.

Please post up you're comparison to the Omega. I really enjoy the F5 and thought about picking up an Omega, but there doesn't seem to be enough difference with the F5 too spend the bucks. I like the F5's analog interface a lot, I've never liked menu driven machines(old school I guess), just reach down turn a knob to make a quick ajustment, easy GB , decent depth and it's just plain fun to use. If FTP could find a way to reduce the EMI interference it would be the almost perfect coinshooter. By the way, if you haven't already read the posts by M. Hillis, do so.

Great unit with medium depth and a lot of workable facets(user friendly) that even a blindman could see....Having owned and used the Omega its(much better) built.....Go to search and type in Mike Hillis and you will find a wealth of info from our resident Guru....Going to be surprised how long one nine volt lasts....

What I wish that the Omega and models like it had is a pin-point finger toggle switch! that way you would have so much grip lose and you would have to finger the front panel so much.
In fact and and ALL detector's have a pin-point mode should have a toggle switch.
It also takes a lot of abuse off the touch pad.

I hunted for years with detectors that either had a handle mounted pinpoint button, or a thumb touch pad on the front panel. Then one day my neighbor gives me a Fisher 1266 which has a toggle controlled pinpoint, WoW it was natural and instinctual to use my index finger to toggle it, even though I had never ran a detector with a pinpoint toggle before. From that day on I was hooked on the idea of the toggle switch.
Its WAY more natural!
You can retain a MUCH better grip on the detector!
I believe it should be by now standard equipment, its just the perfect touch.

Mark

Yeah I read all of Mike's posts and that's what got me interested in the F5. I was looking to buy another machine as I sold a few recently, and came upon the F5. It seemed similar to the Omega in a lot of ways, and I like the Omega better than anything I've ever had. And I've had some really good machines. As I'm just learning it, I don't know if I'll like it as much as the Omega until I get some hours on it, but I'm gonna hunt with it all winter (best time to relic hunt in Virginia) and see what happens. I took it out for a few hours today and was pretty impressed with how it works, but I didn't find anything on the 20 acre woods I hunted, except for a few shotgun shells. But I rarely find anything in the place I hunted, and I feel if I'd gotten the coil over anything good the F5 would have found it. We've got a pretty good sized farm in the Shenandoah valley that had people living on it for over 300 years, and I'll put it to the test there. I've made some good finds there, but really haven't scratched the surface after hunting it for 20 years. Today I hunted in disc set to 0 so I could hear everything, and was able to run the gain at 70 with threshold maxed out. Tomorrow I'm gonna hunt a big piece of property with a lot of Civil War activity where I've made some good finds, so hopefully I'll be able to scratch out a bullet or two. It does seem to be a fun machine to operate, and after testing it against targets I've had buried for years, I don't feel I'll miss anything. As far as pinpointing, I've never really used that feature on any detector. I just scan both ways and the target's always where it's supposed to be.

MarkCZ said:
Wow! I need to review and edit my post more before I post them

What I wish that the Omega and models like it had is a pin-point finger toggle switch! that way you wouldn't have so much grip loss and you wouldn't have to finger the front panel so much.
In fact ALL detector's that have a pin-point mode should have a toggle switch. That would help reduce wear and tare on the membrane pads.

I hunted for years with detectors that either had a handle mounted pinpoint button, or a thumb touch pad on the front panel. Then one day my neighbor gives me a Fisher 1266 which has a toggle controlled pinpoint, WoW it was natural and instinctual to use my index finger to toggle it, even though I had never used a detector with a pinpoint toggle before. From that day on I was hooked on the idea of the toggle switch.
Its WAY more natural!
You can retain a MUCH better grip on the detector!
I believe it should be by now standard equipment, its just completes the ergonomics of a detector.

Well it reads a little better now!

Mark

I did like the toggle on the 1266 to switch to the second disc. Later on the Tejon did the same thing. It is a whole lot easier than pushing a touch pad. I get what you're saying.

I have owned an Omega and I still own the F5. I think I like the F5 better just because of the adjustable threshold. I have taken the F5 to areas that I had to turn the sensitivity way down on the Omega to make it stable and I can adjust the threshold on the F5 and it will run a lot better. The Omega seems like it could ID nickels better than the F5 but its not that big of a deal. I dont like the large nickel notch on the F5 either but I can live with it too.....;o)

Well I went out with the F5 yesterday and dug a little deep brass that sounded good with the stock coil. Dug some lead at around 7 inches that sounded off very well. I'm not too wild about the phase lock because the numbers seem to go all over the place. The GB seems to be more stable on the Omega, but that may be that I'm just not used to it yet. I do really like the F5, but I've gotten so comfortable with the Omega over the years. It'll take a little time to get the same comfort level with the F5. I've had my Omega since it came out, so I know it pretty well, and never get bored with it.

Another couple hours on the F5 and I can tell you, it's a sweet machine. I had it maxed out on gain and threshold and was digging CW bullets along a creek where it's always wet and things sink pretty deep. While the numbers don't always lock on, it gave me enough info to dig some nice bullets at over 8 inches, coming in at 72 give or take. I like it as much as the Omega.