Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just got my Deus...question

biggziff

Deus running 3.2, fully charged.

I'm going out to play in the AM, but for now I've been playing in the basement. I threw down my wedding ring, a dime, nickel, penny, car keys and my pocket knife (Gerber plastic handles, carbon steel blade) and running Basic 1 I pump balanced it and then swung over each of these items. I get 3 distinct tones (about the same) over each item (gold ring ringing up 70, nickel around 53, penny 81 and dime 85 or so....same as the keys) If I swing slowly over any item I get a tone as each "element" of the coil passes over the item (3 total) Is that normal?

Also, the pocket knife isn't showing up at all unless I swing *very* slowly over it. Then I get a low VDI and tone, but very raspy and cut.

Sound about right?

Any tips?

Thanks!

How close together are the objects to each other? Inside the house effects the reaction of the deus somewhat. Try it outside with the objects a couple of feet apart. I'm far from an expert but try it and see what you get.

Well three tones on a single pass is not normal. I'm sure you know how a dd works, and the deus is no different. Just remember inside you never know what it's picking up. I turn mine on just for programming inside. While I'm doing it the shaft and coil stay on the wall and it beeps like I'm in a trashy spot. Outside smooth as silk. Give it a try outside, let us know.

Ya, seemed odd to me as it doesn't work like any of my other MDs inside. We'll give it a go this morning.

thanks

When scanning targets very close to the coil the Deus will give multiple tones.
Raise the coil and I'll bet it will only give you one tone.
Running in Basic 1 the Deus is set to discriminate out a lot of ferrous metals (iron) and I think that is what you experiencing with your knife.
Hope you get out and have fun

HH

Here's a little video of what I was talking about. Seems like it is when the coil is very to the target

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykzmDXA8d0A&sns=em

Here's my finds from this morning. This thing is a poptop, pull tab, foil finding machine....I clearly have a lot of work ahead of me to get to where I was with my old XLT. Not sure what the deal is, but I sure hope I get used to it!

Yep, don't wipe the coin with the coil. If it does the same when you are 4 inches above it then you may have a problem, but mine does the same thing right on the coin.

Ism said:
Yep, don't wipe the coin with the coil. If it does the same when you are 4 inches above it then you may have a problem, but mine does the same thing right on the coin.

I'll try it later today further away (air test) and then in my coin garden to confirm.

Thanks

Buy Andy's book. Folks on here are great and glad to help but you will be many hours ahead if you get it and read it. Have read mine through two times and plan on reading through it again just befor I go detecting. If I ever get time to go.

Jason

biggziff said:
Here's my finds from this morning. This thing is a poptop, pull tab, foil finding machine....I clearly have a lot of work ahead of me to get to where I was with my old XLT. Not sure what the deal is, but I sure hope I get used to it!

You do nolt have it adjusted properly . . . .

Not trying to sound like a wise guy, if you are digging the trash you are, you are simply not operating the Deus properly. I give seminars on the Deus and recently took some people to the high school and worked under / near the bleachers. THere was trash visible on the surface so you know there was trash under ground. A group of 5 did not dig what you did so however you have the breakpoints / tones / discrimination set for the sites you are hunting, you have something set incorrectly.

How about posting your settings when you have a question on if the detector is operating correctly so that we can give you some adjustments to try . . . often hard to solve a problem when we only have half the inputs.

And the comments you received about keeping targets away from the coil when air testing are apot on . . . unless you drop the SENS down to 50, the Deus is designed to detect targets at depth and not touching the coil . . any detector will give you bad results when you get too close to the coil. That's why recent drops are often harder to pinpoint and even detect than deeper coins.

Andy

Settings for the first hunt were Basic 1. I tried dropping the disc down to as low as 2.5, tried lowering react to 1, iron audio to 1 or 2 (faint buzz), I'd try sweeping 90 degrees, tried all freqs on each find with ID normal on and then off (to see what it did to the numbers)

I have a new program setup now that I'll try today:

Basic 1, edited as follows
4 tones, 200 (up to 27), 502 (28-43), 651 (44-90), 791 (91 and up)
disc 2.5
silencer 1
react 1
TX power 2 (I played with this outside last night (1 thru 3) and it seemed to have no effect on a nickel, penny or quarter buried at 8")
Sens 93
GB Tracking

I think that's it.

Thanks for the assistance.

biggziff said:
Settings for the first hunt were Basic 1. I tried dropping the disc down to as low as 2.5, tried lowering react to 1, iron audio to 1 or 2 (faint buzz), I'd try sweeping 90 degrees, tried all freqs on each find with ID normal on and then off (to see what it did to the numbers)

I have a new program setup now that I'll try today:

Basic 1, edited as follows
4 tones, 200 (up to 27), 502 (28-43), 651 (44-90), 791 (91 and up)
disc 2.5
silencer 1
react 1
TX power 2 (I played with this outside last night (1 thru 3) and it seemed to have no effect on a nickel, penny or quarter buried at 8")
Sens 93
GB Tracking

I think that's it.

Thanks for the assistance.

That is a great setup. Stick to it!

Had a little better day today. I was bound to dig anything over 30 and am starting (I think) to be able to tell the difference between junk and good stuff. Dug 11 pieces of foil, a tiny steel button (don't remember what I did with that) and then the last hole of the day produced this little pile. There is a cemetary adjacent to the home I was working that has stones from the 1700s there. Newest date is 1956. This spill was within 10 yards of the fence around the cemetary.

I did use the X Y display and found it to be helpful along with the tones. The hole where the coins were was about the only hole I dug where the XY was reasonably aligned with a higher number and clean-ish tone.

Does anyone ever hunt in cemetaries? Is it legal? I'm going to find out about this one.

I never hunt cemeteries out of respect for the dead, may they rest in peace. Is it legal, that I don't know.

biggziff said:
Does anyone ever hunt in cemeteries? Is it legal? I'm going to find out about this one.

All I can say is regardless of what you find as it being legal or not (although I'd be willing to hedge my bet on the answer), swinging a coil over hallowed ground is a great way to paint detectorists in a bad light and we have enough issues already. Imagine you are driving by an old homeplace with a family cemetery off to one side and you see someone metal detecting between the headstones and digging targets . . . . does that sound like a positive picture?

The bad image aside, I can't imagine anything that would make me want to hunt over the final resting place of someone hoping to find a coin or two.

Over the years I have come across a number of unmarked graves where the depressions make it clear what is there and I steer clear of those areas . . . .

You have to do what you can live with doing but I think the general consensus will be . . . .

[size=x-large]DON'T HUNT CEMETERIES![/size]

Andy