Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just got my new Simplex

Utah Neal

I just got my new Simplex on Friday and I still haven't had much of a chance to use it. My wife and I had the grandkids over the weekend and we decided to take them to the park so they could fly their kites and I could play with the detector. I spent the first hour and a half getting the kites flyable, so no detector time :confused:. After the kids got their kites up about a thousand feet or so, they decided that they were tired of the kites and immediately turned them over to my wife and I to bring them down. Again, no detector time :confused:. by the time that my wife and I got the kites down, it was time to leave the park, so no time to detect :mad:. The rest of the weekend was spent helping my wife with the grandkids doing yard work and working on my daughter's car. I guess that I shouldn't complain since I don't see the grandkids very often and there will be plenty of opportunity to go in the future.

Utah Neal, I think you are going to like the Simplex + once you get to use it and learn it. Mine spend most of its time working with the 5X9½ DD coil as the standard 11" round coil is too big for the dense brush and trashy sites I grab it for. I use Park 1 the most in trashier areas, and either th Beach mode or Field mode, in that order, for places where my main trash tends to be Iron Nails. I like the non-VCO audio of the Beach mode that uses a High-Tone audio similar to the Park 1 mode's mid-tone. W/O VCO I find it to be very pleasant. Just a little less depth than Field mode, but depth isn't achievable in the trashier places with a lot of good-target masking.

I seldom to never use Park 2 mode, but still have it set up the same for Discrimination. In Field, Park 1 and Park 2 I do not reject any of the Disc. notches, and in Beach mode I only reject the first Disc. segments that gets rid of most common Iron Nails an lesser-conductive ferrous debris. I run Sensitivity at MAX and only reduce it to counter EMI / Noise, and I use full Volume except Iron Audio Volume is at '1' for the Field and two Park modes. It's not adjustable for the Beach mode, but that means it is like using the FORS CoRe. If Iron audio gets too annoying, I simply select a different mode that relies on it set at '1'.

A very good model that works quite well with a slow-and-methodical sweep speed, and it is comfortable to use as well.

Monte

Monte, good to see you still swinging the detector. I really appreciated the time we got to meet in the Portland area. You showed me some things about that Prizm 6T that really helped me out a lot. You were the one whose posts really got me into the hobby and buying that MXT.

Anyway, I got out of the hobby due to some health issues and ended up selling off my machines (White's MXT and Prizm 6) because I didn't know whether I would be able to swing again. I am making a comeback, probably not to the level I was, but hey, swinging a detector is still swinging a detector. I will get back into it as much as possible and hopefully find a few good things.

As for the Simplex +, So far I like the weight of the machine, the tones (reminds me a little of the MXT), and the fact that I can take it under water. BTW, I took it from you that purchasing this machine was in my interest. I don't want to invest too much money only to have the health decide to take a 180 again. I still plan on buying one of the two smallest NEL coils when they become available however.

Anyway thank you for the advice and I will take it to heart.

Hey Utah Neal welcome to the club. Best of luck on future hunts.

Hey Utah Neal welcome to the club. Best of luck on future hunts.
Thanks! I've actually been on here a while even after I sold my two machines off (MXT and Prizm 6T). I always knew that when my health improved I would back to swinging detectors again. I saw what Monty and everyone else was saying about this machine for the cost and I knew that this was the machine to get me back into the hobby. I didn't want to buy something expensive, just in case. I'm still waiting for the NEL coils to come available (either the Snake or the Sharp) because those sizes seem to be ideal for the places I like hunting.

Neal your story sounds a lot like mine with health issues putting you on hold for a while. I have RA and got really discouraged with the pain that detecting caused and sold my equipment. When I returned to the hobby, I did not have a lot of money to invest in the more expensive machines so I bought a Simplex thinking that it was going to be a starter machine. I really have no desire to upgrade and I am very satisfied with the performance of the Simplex. I really like using the smaller SP24 coil in trashy areas because it is so much quieter and has excellent separation. I am going to be getting back in the rivers around me either this week or next and looking forward to see how it works when dunked. Good luck with your new machine when you get a chance to use it. If you give it some time, I am sure you will be impressed.

Simplex performance is way above its price point. And it’s easy to run,who wants all that endless adjustments,bla bla bla..lol.Hey,if guys feel better about themselves spending $700 or more to get the same performance I’m getting from a $275 simplex,go ahead. But don’t ever think your gonna find this or that if you buy a more expensive machine cause the simplex will find all that too. I still can’t believe how Makro made this machine so cheap ,it’s really a powerhouse.. Makro is just a great company who might be on the verge of shutting down sales on other brands.

Dollar-for-Dollar, there are just few modern detectors available today, at a lower to mid-price MSRP, that are really light, comfortable and still performance base. The Simplex + is definitely one of the leaders in that pack. Ample performance afield, and I used the SP24 5X9½ DD virtually exclusively. I haven't switched back to the round 11" DD since I mounted that nice mid-size elliptical. I also have a lot cleaner or smoother audio response with that combination, hunting both urban modern trash and remote old Iron debris sites.

As for health and staying in the game, it sure isn't like those good-ol'-days, but I am hanging in there for now. Might not have a driver license after the first of June, depending upon the state of Texas, and even if I can drive it is the rest of this old and aching body that cuts into the fun. Impaired mobility takes a toll on my getting around well these days.

As long as I can read, however, I'll always be-in-touch on the few Forums I am a regular on just to do what I can to try and be of assistance to others.

Monte