Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just got my used F75 today!!

I would suggest DE mode at first with sensitivity at 60 or lower depending on ground mineral and trash quanity.What ever you do DO NOT use JE mode with sens. cranked up high or you will want to wrap around nearest tree!!! I personaly like 2 tones as it is easy to consentrate on the deep signals.I got mine used on Ebay and am very happy with it. One set of batteries latter,I am very pleased!! is my post down below a few posts that shows why I am very happy with mine,Ray-Mo.

As with any detector that's new to you: dig everything until you learn how it responds to various targets. Plant a test garden with 10 or 15 various coins and other targets at depths from 1" to 12" and practice, practice, practice. I have nails, three kinds of pulltabs, shotchell bases and a lead musket ball in mine along with clad, copper and silver coins.

The lower the discrimination, the higher you can get the sensitivity, the deeper you'll comb out targets. Like any of the programmable detectors you can alter the settings to give an advantage in the type of targets and conditions you are hunting.

The F-75 can be "busy" but there are ways to reduce the chatter. You might need to spend a few minutes to optimize the settings for a particular spot but the rewards are worth it. Lots of folks seem to think if you spend enough the detector ought to do all the thinking for you. Don't work that way. Remember: James Dean killed himself in a Porsche because he wasn't prepared for the way it handled. You have to think ahead with the hot ones.

& I will agree that to start out keep the sensitivity down. Even on 40 or 50 it's plenty deep to get going really well...
HH,
Bill

Another good analogy is flying radio controlled model airplanes. We have new guys who drop $1,000 at the hobby store (or Internet supplier) and show up at the airfield or park with a hot P-51 Mustang and a 9 channel programable transmitter instead of a $300 trainer set-up (with a buddy box cord) and a simple 4 channel transmitter. If you can't talk them into getting lessons and starting with a trainer they invariably end up with a pile of smoking balsa in a few seconds.

"Piece of s_ _ _!"

"No, you had no idea what you were doing or how the control surfaces worked in flight."

I can't tell you how many first flights were short because the ailerons were hooked up in reverse of how they should react to the controls.

My favorite plane has negative stability and neutral center-of-gravity. Stunts like a wild thing but you have to fly 150 feet ahead of it, and fly it every instant, or it will be all over. On the other hand, I have had models you can set the radio down and go get a cup of coffee and it would still be lolling around the sky in lazy circles waiting for you when you got back. A good R/C trainer rights itself if you release the sticks (provided you have been flying "two mistakes high"). A good beginner metal detector should have an "easy play" initial mode that you can resort to. Heck, it's nice that any detector should have a good initialization and/or default setting.

I think the F-75 (and SE, and DFX) can overwhelm those that are expecting a relatively expensive machine to automatically ignore anything they consider trash and only speak when a coin or piece of jewelry passes underneath at any depth and with a little picture icon showing exactly what lies beneath. Seems to me the folks happiest with the F-75 are those that don't mind seeing and hearing most everything above "rotted iron" and deciding what to dig from that input of information.

Your plane analogy made me think of something. I went to the wondrous world of Wally (Wal-mart) and while meandering around, stumbled across these cool little planes. youtube... (nope, that ain't me in the video...just a plane like I got) for $30 bucks you can't beat 'em if you like RC stuff! Tough as nails, and fun! Hey! it's okay for old guys to have fun too!

:)

The Aero Ace Biplane is an absolute BLAST! I've had one for at least a year and LOVE them. If you get the Bipe, you can even take off the lower wings and it will be even MORE fun. Anyhow, I have several websites and info on these babies, if you'd like to talk, email me at michaelcshriver@hotmail.com

I've been detecting for several years and was looking for some hints on how I could adjust the machines setting, from those who have used it to improve its performance under varying conditions. Like hunting in heavily infested iron or in a park with load of trash.

OK short n sweet.
My settings......
Clean`ish land .....
JE mode.
Sensitivity (for you) 50.
Discrimination...6
Two tones .
NO NOTCH (on 1)
Sweep ... 1 second per sweep with Coil Scraping the soil

Junk filled land .....
PF mode.
Sensitivity.....80 and adjust as per field mineralization dictates.
Discrimination 6
NO NOTCH (1)
two tones.
again a quick sweeping motion (but not `too` fast) which scrapes the Floor .
Tips, throw a coin on the floor before you set off . thats the sound your listening for.
Fast grab about every 20 minutes (my own preference)
Keep your eye on your Digi numbers on hitting a Target . Don`t dig anything with a Value of 18 or less.
hope this helps ..

In supplement to Jeff NWR

My trashy park (GB 65 to 70)
Disc to 18
No notch ("1" after a full reset)
dE mode (default)
Sensitivity as high as stable (82 to 90)
3H tones (high for nickels)

In the trashiest of spots I switch to bC (bottle cap) mode.

In clear areas I use the JE (jewelry) mode, but it gets sparky unless I keep the sensitivity to 80 and below.

If I get an iffy signal I click over to All Metal (takes two seconds) and "X" the target fast. If the TID is the same as it was in Discrimination I dig. If it drops it is usually trash or underground utilities (I hunt in parks with underground wiring and service lines snaking everywhere).

As with any DD coil, twisting the coil 90

I use JE mode, with the disc a 6, at about 90 on the sens all the time, and havent had the urge to wrap anything around a tree yet. Regardless of what mode you prefer, keep in mind that what may (or may not) work for YOU, doesnt necessarily equate to something that will (or wont)work for others. Ground varies WIDELY here in the states, and no matter what you use, you'll likely have to taylor YOUR machine to YOUR ground conditions.
While I do occasionally use De for particularly difficult sites, my first choice is usually JE. Streak!