Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just how water resistant is a CZ6A?

Mike T

I got caught in the rain yeaterday, light rain and I tried to shield the detector, I suddenly noticed it wouldn't register any small targets even if I put a quarter right on the coil, but it would scream if I swung it near large metal. I thought it was toast and was ready to ship to El Paso but I tried it the next morning and it perked right up and was fine!
I'm thinking water got inside, but how? it's supposed to be sealed and more resistant than a light rain?
This is a cherry CZ with less than a few hours on it.

Hi Mike, I have had my CZ6a in alot of rain and it still worked fine. That is one thing i like about it, when it rains no one is out. I just got a CZ70 PRO that is rain proof also, hope it is as good as the 6a. Maybe yours has a dried gasket that leeks. I sent mine to TOM D. and he went all over it, and said it was in top condition, even hit his dime at 12.3" , now that is good. You might need to send it in for a check up. Good Luck Flintstone,

It is suppose to be rainproof so it should be able to handle a lite rain? I have a CZ-7a Pro that is also rainproof and had it out in the rain a couple times with out any problems? That is one reason I bought it as I wanted a rain proof detector to keep in the trunk to use when ever I got time rain or shine and a CZ also!

I normally rinse mine off with a low pressure plant watering adapter on the hose. No issues, but I make sure I rinse down and not aimed towards the battery cover. I leave the headphone plug in while rinsing so I don't spray the opening.

The symptoms you describe are just what I experienced on a beach trip where the only detector I packed was the CZ6a. I think it was two years ago; may have been three years ago. I was deeper in the water than I should have been and a wave splashed the detector. I ran to the high dry area and pulled the batteries. Did not see water in it or on the batteries and could not shake any water out. Put batteries back in and it squealed so I turned it off and pulled the batteries. After sitting overnight it ran perfectly again and has ever since. I still am not sure where the water may have entered.

Good luck with yours.
tvr

As long as it doesn't do it again I'm OK with a dried gasket or however else water entered the box. I have since bought a heavy duty raincoat for it and will respect the limitations of a 25 year old metal detector.

Years ago had one leak in a light rain due to a crimped gasket...Dried out in a bout a week opened up and good as new...Due to its age (approx. 20 yrs old) dried out gaskets could be a concern and remember the headphone must be plugged in also...Personally carry a baggie in your pocket for these situations...

The CZ6A is not very water resistant. The older CZ-6 and CZ-5's are worse. After repairing several of these units, I have seen that the gaskets are drying out and have gaps. I would not use in the rain.

I think the newer digital one's are sealed better myself as never had a problem with them.:shrug: