Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just one find I wanted to share on my trip up to New England...

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
Was using an E-Trac and got this hit at an old common ground within 3 hours of landing in Boston.

[attachment 107995 1802a-lg-cent.jpg]

[attachment 107996 1802b-lg-cent.jpg]

Made the trip worthwhile for me... Guvner..

Wow Nice find Guvner. I wanted to say thanks for the relic shovel you donated, I won it and am very appreciative. I met you at the top of the hill by Bobs truck. I was using a Sovereign GT.

take care
Jason

Guv......how do you tell others of the personal feelings you experience when you find a piece of history?

There's a magic about touching something like that, and wondering what was the moment about, when it was lost.

The spot where you're standing has been witness to many things...1802...1902....2002...and 2008 was your moment in time.

Any one who detects, and doesn't get that buzz...............then there is something missing in their soul......MattR.UK.

P.S.

When I read of you guys who work the 'cellar holes', I'm really intrigued. We may have a lot of ancient history in the UK but

there is also something very special about your 'recent history'. Somehow it 'feels' more real...tangible. It could easily have been your own fore father's

homestead. Are there any resources that record the origins of such properties?

My one dream is to come over to the USA and go hunting with the lads in such situations. I never get enough of reading about true pioneering stories.

Even listening to someone reading the names of your cities and states, is like listening to poetry, to me. I sometimes get onto Google, and meander through the

famous names associated with the 'wild west'. I guess it was all those cowboys movies I watched as a kid on the Saturday afternoons. 3 old pennies was all it

took to be lost in the excitement of it all. When they opened the side doors at the end of the show, we would burst out into the bright day and 'gallop' on our

imaginary horses, slapping our bottoms to make us go faster.....mad...totally potty...but happy.

The old picture house has gone now....It was built in the days of the silent movies.....My mum and dad went there as young teenagers.

My mum (Who lived until she was 96 years old, and raised 8 children) told me about how she first noticed my dad when he was a young whipper snapper. It was in that very picture house. As I mentioned, the movies then had no sound. Instead, an old pianist would play the piano appropriately to suit the mood of the film. Often the old pianist would fall asleep at the keyboard. On one occasion my future dad, threw an orange to rouse him from his slumbers, and scored a direct hit. He was promptly thrown out.....(Oh.. the shame of it all )

Which only goes to prove the old saying "You are remember generally for the bad thing you did. The good is interred with your bones"

I still loved you dad...and mum too.

That old picture house survived Hitler's bombs...and the ravages of thousands of kids like me !!!!!

When the film snapped, or the 'light' went out ....all hell broke loose.....Television is crap compared to our yesterday years cinema.

Memories...." A penny for your thoughts?".... No thanks, for money couldn't buy my memories of yesterday....MattR.UK.

I hope your next find is even more historic and satisfying.............thanks for sharing your find, and also to Minelab for the E-Trac.....Matt.

[/b]

It just looks so old to me... I love it. I'd love to detect over on your side just for the pure age of it once though...

Guvner..

n/t

That's a beauty, G!

Looks like the ground treated it well.

One of the nicest types of Large Cents. The Draped Bust Large Cent is what I love to find in New England. Congrats on that one. Looks like it will clean up well also. You did pretty good for the short time here. Seated is always nice also (did it show up?). Two good coins. Now you know what we find here when we get lucky. Sometimes we don't get quantity, but we are privileged to get older finds. HH

Since it is an 1802, George Washington never touched it. However his nephew Bushrod Washington may have.

n/t