Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just ordered 2500

rbruce2u

Well after 3 weeks of research I decided to switch from my Whites spectrum XLT to a Garrett 2500. Hope it is not a mistake but it was that or the DFX and I spent a long time learning the XLT. Any tips from people that have been using the 2500 would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Get a big box to keep your swag in!

If you have a bit of metal detecting experience, as you seem to, it should be a relatively easy transition. Keep sensitivity lower to start until you get used to pinpointing and imaging. The better you get the more accurate it will be. Luckily the 2500 pinpoints dead on and is practically fool proof. The hardest items to pinpoint are items on or near the surface. Stick to the standard coil. I am not wild about the larger coil for the type of hunting I prefer but I am getting better with it. I would run in one of the discriminate modes to start and then move on to All Metal later. I prefer "Jewelry" and I usually have a custom program set up for trashy areas. Every once in a blue moon I run in "Coin" mode as a sort of inbetween. I started with "Treasure Talk" on when I bought mine and it's still on. It may kill my battery life but I really like it. Experiment around and you'll find settings you like. The menu navigation is real easy.

The only real downside to the 2500 is that it's heavy but my arm got used to it pretty quickly. If it is too heavy to start you can remove the battery pack and wear it on your belt and shorten the shaft a little. There are real experts on this forum who I rely on. Uncle Willy, John, Terry who have loads of 2500 experience. There are others but my mind ain't what it used to be.

It's a fun forum. I try to post pics of all my finds and nobody has ever told me they are sick of seeing my clad. I do get my share of gold and silver too! I like looking at finds form different parts of the country.

My two cents.

Chris

Congrats on picking one of the best. The archives are full of info on the 2500. Don't start out using factory settings. Hunt in coins mode for awhile with sensitivity set at 6.5 until you get a feel for it. Scan slow as the 2500 has to much info to process to scan fast. Centering the target correctly is critical for accurate readings. Don't hunt with it like you did with other detectors or you'll have problems. It's a breed all its own.

Bill

Thanks for the replies. Guess I should introduce myself. I live in Marin county which for those outside the area it is 15 miles north of San Francisco. I started out about WOW ! it's been 35 years detecting with a Whites detector, don't remember which one but then had a Whites 6000d, then went to the XLT. Have been on and off and after turning 53 and needing more outside time I figured this should help. Anyway this seems to be a great forum and I appreciate all the help.
Again thanks for the help and support.
Keep on hunting
Bob

<center>

[size=x-large]BEEP-ID-SIZE-DIG[/size]

Use the imaging feature often so you can learn its operation and limitations. You have to be dead center to get the best accuracy. Hunt in tones, and maybe just hunt in coin mode for a while until the two of you get to know each other better.

Hey Bob ! GOOD CHOICE ! I had a DFX also good built detector. Take your time with the 2500 and you'll never go back. Over the years I've ran a lot of different detectors and have found things with them all. But I always come back to my Garrett found tons of stuff with it. Just today I got a silver standing quarter and a Mercury head dime. To start out I would use imaging only when pinpointing and leave the talk off for awhile until you get use to the new detector. You'll find the user interface much easier to use then the Whites. You can switch between search modes with one button. Have fun and ask questions when needed.