Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just ordered MXT Edge

ColoradoGoldMan

Well my luck is still about the same with the MXT I have been out two more times since I lucked on to the stud earring with the MXT on my 2nd hunt (not a real stone by the way). The CDOT is widening the road into the Springs. They moved a bunch of older houses and I got the ok from the construction Foreman to hunt the area before they raze the ground for dirt work. Man, I don't under stand how they could have dropped so much metal from just moving the houses. I hit the oldest site first and dug trash for 5 hr. and didn't find a single keeper. I don't think it is the MXT's fault at all. I think it just the learning curve with a new detector and I'm just not getting the coil over good targets. I took the 5.3 eclipse coil because i figured it would be bad but not this bad. Any way I took Larry's advice and ordered a copy of Foster's book, The MXT Edge. Also Been looking for a 6x10 Eclipse DD found a few but they sold before I could make an offer. Just figure it will take some time they seem to be real popular coils for the MXT/DFX/M6 you don't see many for sail, used. they are sure proud of the new ones VBG. Been thinking of heading up to the Claim and do some prospecting with the MXT befor Snow closes the claim for the winter. Maybe I can reset and take some time to swing the machine and get used to it more. I have a nice ball field out here in eastern Colorado that I like to hunt, it is fairly clean, I've dug most the trash from it and it gets used a lot and replenished with some trinkets.Time will tell.
HH
C

The MXT is a good machine. You really do want to get the 6x10DD, or even the smaller 4x6DD.
You probably won't ever take it off.
Katz

Great must have book for the MXT just got one myself ,also read it several times when you can. Worth the $$ ,Yep 6x10 coil very hard to find used,this tells us people hold on to them for a reason.
Keep looking everywhere and you may luck into one like I did.Took some time .Good luck,Steve

ColoradoGoldMan said:
They moved a bunch of older houses and I got the ok from the construction Foreman to hunt the area before they raze the ground for dirt work. Man, I don't under stand how they could have dropped so much metal from just moving the houses. I hit the oldest site first and dug trash for 5 hr. and didn't find a single keeper. I don't think it is the MXT's fault at all. I think it just the learning curve with a new detector and I'm just not getting the coil over good targets.
Getting the coil over the target is the main thing, combined with a lot of demo-site trash. We have much better detectors today, for many of these sites. I remember when they were putting I-205 in thru east Portland, Oregon a few of us worked the old home-sites from the time they got boarded up until the moved them and the topsoil. One problem then was that most of the detectors we used didn't have discrimination, and they were basic TR's w/o ground balance causing tuning and coil-control issues. In addition to that, many popular better-brand detectors had either a 6" coil or an 11" coil.

ColoradoGoldMan said:
I took the 5.3 eclipse coil because i figured it would be bad but not this bad.
Possibly the better coil choice. If it was exceedingly trashy, then the Shooter coil might have helped a little, depending on the coils approach to the target and nearby target placement.

ColoradoGoldMan said:
Also Been looking for a 6x10 Eclipse DD found a few but they sold before I could make an offer. Just figure it will take some time they seem to be real popular coils for the MXT/DFX/M6 you don't see many for sail, used. they are sure proud of the new ones VBG.
Many followers of the stock 950, as well as those who favor the 6X10 DD or those with a preference for the 5.3 Eclipse or for the Shooter DD coil. Overall, I don't think many coils last that long on any Classifieds for an MXT/M6 because these models are in high demand as well as he coils for them.

I've owned and use the 6X10 DD and for some open-area hunting where I want coverage, it isn't a bad pick. Places like some beach or sports field hunting. But in trashier areas you an have more target masking than with a smaller round coil, such as the 5.3 Eclipse. Plus, the 5.3 Eclipse will match or better the depth of the 6X10, and Double-D coils don't discriminate quite as well as concentric wound coils, especially when you're dealing with iron (nails, etc.).

Remember not to sweep too quickly in the very trashy demolition sites, and employ all the patience you can. Good targets are sure to be there.

Monte