Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just ordered my 705!

Beale

So I placed my order for my new 795 on Saturday. It should be here next week sometime! In the meantime I have a question?

I notice the new units do not come with an environment cover for the control panel. ML wants a pretty $$ for them so? How many just do not use one? has anybody tried the one from Sunray? Any help would be welcome, Beale.

Covers are too cheap to not have one. There are some available that are just fine and can be had for $20 or less. I won't go out w/o one, as the potential for damage otherwise is higher than I choose to gamble.

I have been using ziplock bags on mine since I bought it in Feb. I just punch a hole in the bag for the headphone plug, and it works great. I get the off brand ones at w-mart. I think they are 7x8 inch or so.
Call me cheap, but it works well and if I need a little extra protection against a light rain, I put a second one over the first, which then covers the headphone jack. I also wrap the bottom of the bag with tape in such a circumstance for a little added security for the coil connection. I did say (light) rain though.
The display can get a little harder to read with two bags on especially in direct sunlight, but then I turn the backlight on and it seems to help.
I don't know how well the sunray covers fit, but I've heard the minelab ones suck to get on and off. Super tight I guess. Good luck in whatever you choose!

I have used my X-70 in the dusty deserts of New Mexico and California for almost 5 years, (without a cover) and have never had a problem.

I use the Thesaurus cover. As some stated, the covers are a little pricey, but if you spend over 640.00 on a new detector, why skimp for 40.00 - 50.00 more to protect your investment. JMHO.

I got a sun ray around $20.00 I put a nasty scratch on the face plate with a piece of pipe in a dirt pile one day and if I'd had the cover on it the cover would have taken the blow.
I think there well worth it.

DirtAngler said:
I use the Thesaurus cover. As some stated, the covers are a little pricey, but if you spend over 640.00 on a new detector, why skimp for 40.00 - 50.00 more to protect your investment. JMHO.
are those the covers from Poland if so them look very high quality.

They are great covers! i had one on my 70 at the end. I can not find a source now? I would love to have one, Beale.

I just use the quart size freezer ziplock bag and cut a hole in the side for the head phone. When I first got the Xterra 7 years ago I got the cover for it and it was pretty much junk in a lil over a month. Most times I MD 5 to 7 days a week and I MD about 9 months a year at that rate it would cost me about $180.00 a year for those covers so I use the freezer bags at a cost of $4.00 a year. I've had the X505 for 4 years now and it still looks like it is new.

Just by looking at the minimal scratching that I have on my display and control buttons with an environmental cover on it, I'd hate to think what it would look like if used without a cover.

good luck with the 705 Beale. you'll enjoy it.
I have an enviroment cover but only ever use it if there is a chance of being caught in the rain or it's going to be muddy. It doesn't rain much here, so it hardly goes on.
Mick Evans.