Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

just picked up an old Cutlass II Umax

its working, has a 7 inch concentric coil stuck on it. not original, but works. i have used Tesoro since starting in 1999. Still have a Silver Sabre Plus with a slight mod internally. i do have two other brand more expensive units- a modern MXT and a xp350 Compass.

i picked this unit up real real cheap!

how close is this to say a Shadow X2? or Silver Umax? i know not quite as powerfull as an x2. i just wanted a light car unit-- in case of breakin i dont loss a lot of money. i do park in shade and dont leave one in a hot trunk. i do a lot of 15 minute quick hitters on small tearout dirt.

i am used to no motion pinpoint but have used this slight motion pinpoint before. xing not a problem and dont have to go to all metal to pinpoint anyway. only use pinpoint where neat cut plugs count. i see this is an easy slightly motion in all metal to do so, and even in disc.

gimme some pointers on this unit guys. Tabman???

Sven-- any good mods you would recommend? this is not a warranty unit and if needed repairs gladly pay. i think Tesoros are worth it. will never be without one in my little cluster.

PM'd you.

My stock Cutlass II non-uamx air test performance with the 7" coil was in par to the stock Silver Umax with 8" coil, I air tested a few years ago.
The Cutlass II seems to have slower motion, and actually you can almost make it a almost no motion detector by just hovering over the target and wiggling it back and forth an inch slowly.
No need for a pinpoint button.
Has pretty good audio like all the older Tesoros do unlike the current umax audio. If you don't have a lot of small foil trash, run it in all metal mode, which is really a disc mode with a lower disc setting, just like the current Silver umax.
Tesoro used the same Cutlass II circuit board with a few parts additions to make the Silver Sabre II. And I believe you have one of those?

Happy hunting

hey Sven-- computer went down a few.. but its raining as we speak!!! good soaker. feel for the Texas Boys with floods, the Cali boys with drought too!! we just needed some rain. prayers answered! praying for the others too!

back to the unit.. its not pretty but not bad. the coil is ugly but works. airtests seem ok. i did notice it takes VERY LITTLE motion to pinpoint.. I LIKE THAT! its the plastic box umax sits on top. small 1x9volt. like that!

is it a vlf /tr or tr in all metal only?

my other is a SILVER SABRE PLUS with no motion all metal. it was the least favorite in the Silver line, but Tony and i prefer them. they work well here.

think i will leave it as is. as far as coils i know originally it had the brown donut coil but this 7 inch concentric works fine. easier in the scrubby stuff dont get caught up as bad. used them before. this will be my travel daily unit and i park in the shade. at what i got it for other than loosing a good unit it wont hurt as bad if i get tagged by the scum. and its so light-- the arms ailing some-- wearing a copperfit sleeve on it. helps --so will this light unit.

read a few reviews and seem to be good ones. its solid they say, no whistles or bells but has disticnt audio-- its dang loud!! thats good because my hearing is damaged and i do have volume controlled headphones. but this is loud enough to use without them some too. if i use phones too much i have some ringing in the ears. hope to hunt some soon-- hope for more rain.. now this could be a candidate for a water unit......