Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just Read? Or Go For More Fun Features?

TreasureDigger

Does anyone here on the forum use the Kindle Fire or the Nook Simple Touch w/GlowLight??? I am so torn about what features I want/don't want. Better to keep it simple? Or go all out with the Kindle Fire? I would be interested in any opinions/advice from anyone who uses these devices. I've had some people suggest an iPad instead, but my laptop is just fine, so I'm not looking to pay mega $$$ for an iPad right now.

Thanks!
Lisa

I say Kindle Fire all the way. We have both at work and rent them out as we offer a free ebook rentals at the library. I have a first edition nook and have had to learn to use them all because of my job. I can honestly say the Kindle products are superior and easier to use! All of our patrons very much prefer checking out the Kindle Fire...cannot keep 'em in.

Thanks, Liz! I think you just made up my mind for me. :) What do you know about battery life?

Lisa

Well.....the battery life is much less than on my traditional nook. Of course, I don't have a color screen or many of the other goodies. Supposedly, the Fire will be okay for Eight hours of constant use, but I really can't vouch for that. I've only really used one enough to learn how to navigate. My nook will hold a charge for a month---no joke! We usually charge the Fire's and Nook Colors nightly. I haven't had anyone complain about battery life, but honestly (and don't take this the wrong way), most of our patrons are very low income and are thrilled to have the chance to get their hand on such technology. Puts something that is totally out of reach in their hot little hands...lol.

Hey Lisa,

The Kindle Fire is a very good unit and superior, in many respects, to the B&N Nook. However, you can do better yet by taking a look at the New Google Nexis 7" tablet. It is superior to the Kindle Fire in every respect and retails for the same price of $199.00. Check it out at Google.com

I bought a Kindle for one of my kids, and my sister in-law loves hers. Have you checked consumers report, or some product reviews on them?

Hi Lisa,
Check out Consumer Reports on Google's Nexus 7. Here's the link: Google Nexus 7 is a superb low-priced tablet

I don't have any axe to grind against the Kindle Fire but hope you'll take a serious look at the Google Nexus 7 before you plunk down your hard- earned cash. As previously stated, the Fire is a good unit but the Nexus 7 is superior in every respect. The Nexus 7 sports a much faster engine (quad core 4.1) and is therefore much more responsive. Not only that is important but the Nexus 7 gives you the opportunity to download any number of books from Google and hundreds upon hundreds of those are free. And if that weren't enough, you can download the Kindle Fire app onto the Nexus 7 and partake of 'All' of what Amazon.com has to offer, for the Kindle. However the can't do that with the Kindle. I figure you to be a pretty smart lady and, that being the case, you'll want to get the best bang for your buck, as it were. Of all the 7" tablets out there today, the only one worth spending your hard-earned money on 'IS' the Google Nexus 7.

Hey Martin, Thank you so much for the info and input. I appreciate your efforts and respect your opinion. However, I didn't get your post until a few minutes ago and I all ready bought the Kindle Fire last night at Walmart. I asked for opinions here as well as on Facebook. Liz was the only one who responded here (until this morning), but I got a ton of responses on FB. The overwhelming majority suggested the Fire and that's the reason I went with it. I have never heard of the one you suggested but I certainly would have taken a look at it and would have given it some consideration - if I hadn't of all ready bought the Fire last night.

Lisa

That's okay. Of course you can return the Kindle to Walmart and get a refund, if you wish to. As previously stated, the Fire is a good unit but it simply can't hold a candle to the Nexus 7, which at this point must be pre-ordered from Google. Something else you need to be aware of and that's the repair factor, for the Kindle. To be sure, Amazon has good customer service but that being said, the Nexus 7 is less expensive to repair and far easier to replace the batter in should that become an issue down line. Just thought you should know the facts.

P.S. You can get the Nexus 7, at Staples, mid July.