Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

just some panning questions?

amcjavelin

ok this stream I'm been doing I have got some ok gold from so far well on my last clean up I noticed something very silvery in my pan to as well and have had lead before and lead has no luster to it like this did so anyways when I was watching it stir around it acted like gold but a little less heavy I guess you could say so being up here in maine never heard much of silver being found up here now platinum on the other hand one river has quite a bit but this was very glimery of silver so I wonder if it was or not? unfortunately I didn't take any pics of it so any idea's?

Well amcjavelin, you're right. Hard to tell without photo. I'm in Vermont and find very fine silvery material when panning. I think what you are referring to is galena. Galena is found in ore bodies associated with lead, silver, copper, etc. If it were silver it would not have that shiny sparkle to it. Silver would have a dull unpolished look.

I would suggest you find a good book on rocks and minerals and learn some about your area. I am sure your State geology Dept. has reports about the rocks and minerals in your area. Just google Maine State Geology - that would be a good start.

Happy hunting!

yeah this same stream that I'm doing you will also find tiny bits of green tourmaline and a gemologist had told me that legend has it blue sapphire come out of there too also I notice too a lot of pure white quartz about is big as baseballs and smokey also