Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just when I thought I was getting it

smkunder

Went out for a couple of hours today and boy was I humbled again. The last time out I thought I was getting a pretty good grasp on this machine, then I went out today and found nothing but bottle caps and 7 cents. Oh well more reading and experimenting. Have to say this machine makes you work your brain to figure it out, but I sure do enjoy swinging it. Just have to keep my mind right and not get frustrated.

You will be fine it is tough some days. Is it the bottlecaps getting ya? Are you going to the same area all the time? If so its gonna take some time. The detector does love bottlecaps. Don't let it bug ya it will get better.

Yup like everyone, bottle caps are crazy good sounding on this machine. I keep telling myself it will get better, but I am also having that urge to pick my CTX back up after about the 20th bottle cap, I never have a problem with them on that machine. I will get it yes I will!

Steve feel free to call me brother I would be glad to help you out. Also dont make it more complicated than it is, try not to stress your self, and dont change settings because your constantly second guessing yourself just let the second guessing go and the deus will do what it does BEST!! lol thanks buddy

vancemetaldetecting.com said:
Steve feel free to call me brother I would be glad to help you out. Also dont make it more complicated than it is, try not to stress your self, and dont change settings because your constantly second guessing yourself just let the second guessing go and the deus will do what it does BEST!! lol thanks buddy

Thank You Vance for this offer, I will be doing that. I appreciate all you do to help folks here.

Not a problem buddy!

Steve feel free to call me brother I would be glad to help you out. Also dont make it more complicated than it is, try not to stress your self, and dont change settings because your constantly second guessing yourself just let the second guessing go and the deus will do what it does BEST!!

Very good advice for any full featured detector!

Just read and re-read the section on the X-Y screen in Andy's book, have see how that works, just a lot to remember when you are out in the field.

In time it will be like second nature. Maybe a software upgrade Will bring it to the fore front

I don't know how to explain it, but soon enough you will know when it is a coin or a bottle cap. When it is deep, you will probably still dig it.... but 5" or less, I find that when I hit a coin now, I know right away. The sound is cleaner, not as washy? Drawn out?

Hunting at a lower khz helps. I've been hunting a lot in 4 and 8 khz. Like one of the gents said on another post, it expands your TID and then you can notch that high range. When an 80% quarter comes in at mid to low 80's on 4khz, why would I dig anything in the mid 90's? (I just went and tested a 34 mm monster silver coin at 4khz [84% silver]. It was a solid 91 at 4khz. A coin of that size at 90% would possibly get you to 92 vid at that frequency?)

I think we'd be safe to say that notching 93 and up will keep us from missing any goodies. Targets that read at 90, 91, 92 and don't sound clean and sharp... are probably crap.

The XY is only good on shallow caps. Navigation there is a snap after you do it a few times. You get to the advanced option up there once, and it is there for the whole day. A couple of clicks and you're there, because the cursor will stay on the "advanced" section when you go in and out of that screen. It really isn't that bad!

Remember to find something you have to put the coil over it. Sometimes we work too hard and dig too many questionable signals because we aren't getting any good ones. It is a state of mind and most of us are willing to take a chance on that scratchy signal because we are afraid we will leave something cool behind. You get to choose. I am pretty sure you will dig mostly coins if you just wait for those great signals. Hopefully, you don't doze off waiting. I am running a check program of identical settings at 4 to switch over and test signals. So far it seems like it helps get rid of some of the trash.

Don
HH