Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just when I thought....

Trailduster

...my detector was just never going to find silver coins. Have found silver jewlery in the past 2 years mind you.

I hit a mini hot streak this past week.

A '56 Rosie in one part of town, then a 42 Washington, 43 Merc, and 45 War nickle all at another spot in town. I have been shooting with a more wide open discrim. Around 26'ish. Hoping to snag gold.

Not one silver coin since I bought the f70 after finding a few with my f2. Then bam! 4 in one week. Although it all started with a Silver Washington in a coin roll at my night job a couple nights before I found the Rosie.

Now. Funny thing is. None of them were solid hits. All were sketchy on the VID, and had to slow down my swing considerable, use the pin point to narrow down a low depth spot, then re scan for VID verification. The odd ball was the Merc that came in in the mid 60's. I honestly thought it was a copper penny before I began to dig. Been using the DD Sniper. Going back this morning and giving the 11" DD a shot with the same settings.

I'm not sure I like the idea that the f70 hits Clad and copper hard like a champ but is week on silver. hmmm. The silver ring was loud and clear, almost screaming at me to dig it up, but the quarter sized pendant and all these coins have been week and scratchy toned. grrrr.

But. Still love the machine. No bout a doubt it !

All kinds of strange things can happen out there, coins on edge, in the vicinity of trash, lots of other things too, but you can't go by just a few weird experiences to make a judgement.
I have only dug a couple of silver coins with my F70 so far but in my case both were solid and unmistakable hits in the normal
areas and numbers.
I can say that the correct settings for specific sites could make a difference, and swing speed will also especially in the presence of other metals that can skew the signal.
I found my first gold ring of the year recently that was bouncy in the 50's, an actual 41 out of the ground, but was sitting between 2 pieces of iron one small and one large, old and rusty.
Only when I slowed down that coil and made very small short passes with the big DD coil did the numbers stabilize and repeat enough to trigger my digging instinct and I am glad I did.
The last silver ring I dug acted the same way, only 5-6" deep with no other metal around it but even though it was correct in the high number dime area it was still a bit bouncy in the numbers.
The same has happened with other targets too, including coins, but I usually hear a good tone first and foremost and stop to examine these bouncy but good sounding signals further.

On the other hand I did manage to pluck a Merc out of an extremely trashy area in a 100 year old park with that big coil and the signal was right on, solid and repeating, but I had the sense way down to 30 which seems to really sharpen up and minimize the scanning field a bit.
Not sure if I would have gotten the same signal with my sense on my more normal and much higher settings.

The good thing is you did locate and dig those silver coins so that is great and hopefully future silver coin targets will alert you in a more normal fashion.
As with everything else, practice makes perfect, even when it comes to digging silver coins as I am also slowly learning.

So hit the spot again today only with the 11" DD instead of the sniper. Lowered the thresh to 0 from 5. Lowered Sens from 99 to 85. Had to quite down the big coil.

Snagged a small bunch of clad. 1 Buffalo nickel and 2 more Merc's. 1941 & 1936. Loving this spot. Still so much more land to cover too. A couple weeks ago on the other side of the lot I found 2 IHP's in the same hole, and a 1926 Canada Penny. Definately more to find now that I have a good bead on what settings seem to work on this plot.

One of the merc's hit hard although bouncy. The other I had to slow way down and find it between dead spots so must have been on edge.

I'm not so sure it has to do with the silver content as much as maybe how long the coin has been in the ground? Those IHP's and the 1926 Canada Penny also were faint in nature. Just a quick blip that I would have missed or shrugged off as a false signal if I wasn't used to the tone of the sounds the machine makes. Which lends creadence to the fact you have to listen more so than just run around watching the numbers.

i think you are right..about how long a coin has been in the ground, and the depth and soil moisture content or something.....good thing is all the tone choices you have with the 70, modulated/proportional audio, etc...you can easily hunt with this rig by ear alone....I've been running DP for 3yrs straight now...it really tells a guy a lot about the target.
Congratulations on the Silver! :beers:
Mud

Thanks for the replys guys.

Was searching around the "other" spot for a half hour while my son was doing his lacrosse practice. Went back to where I found the rosie and pulled another 1936 Merc.

When it rains it pours. good and/or bad. :detecting:

Added a 42 merc today from my new honey hole. This spot just keeps on giving.

So....must have been the opperator and his choice of hunting spots, not the machine.:clapping:

n/t

For sure Elton.

I've hunted a lot of 100+ year old spots expecting to find something. Getting skunked a lot.

Only luck I ever had was older schools. Pulled a walker once.

This time though. woo wee. it;s raining silver and I haven;t covered nearly 25% of the place.

I wish I could say what type of location I've picked this time, but I've had internet savvy claim jumpers invade my territory before right about the same time I made what I thought was a low information post on a different forum. Lesson learned.