Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

just wondering:confused:

grunt0311

Why can't the Explorer forum have a "user programs list" at the top of the home page...similar to the one used on the Whites forum....
it would be handy to find and easrier to copy:shrug:

it's very simple for forum members to post here and ask questions.

It is what makes this one of the best forums on the internet...because there is a wealth of good information available here....and EVERYONE is more than willing to share with others.

It is also a fact that that not all settings will work in different soil conditions.

What works for me here in my IL soil might cause problems for someone in FL.

If anyone wants some settings...all they have to do is ask...or send someone a private message.

If anyone wants an opinion...all they have to do is ask.

It keeps the forum flowing with new info...tips...settings...opinions...debates...finds....etc...from many different successful hunters.:thumbup:

I receive numerous pm's and emails from people who come to the Explorer and E-trac forums...just to see the fresh threads.

All have commented on the available info here as well as the willingness of so many people who offer to share responses when someone posts something.
[attachment 153666 smileyneon.gif]

I'm not sure about how many combinations there are but surely no more so than the Whites DFX. I hunt with an Explorerll and an ExplorerS as well as a DFX.
The programs that guys in the DFX forum have sent in are from all parts of the country and various ground conditions. I thought it would be interesting to see
and easily print some of these different combinations. I understand its easy to send pm's to get help but it would also be easy to copy and carry to the field
someone else's settings and from there fine tune. I don't mean to compare Whites to Minelab i'm simply saying i would be fun to have a startup program all
printed that just might work in my particular area....:shrug:

just simply ask. If anyone wants to respond to this thread and give you their settings...that's great.

You can then copy them if you wish....and carry them to the field as well.:thumbup:

Hi Bryce, Andys book states that, In a air test the tatget will sound the same in the ground???? If some ground is Hot do you haft to back off on the Gane????? If the Explorer will ignore the effects of the ground why dos everybody have to use different settings???? Thanks, Mickfin,

Mick....I can't speak for Andy but for me a target can sound any of number of ways in the ground. Many variables such as coin being tipped...next to trash...next to iron...ground mineralization...etc....can change what I hear.

As for hunting in hot ground...most people recommend running lower manual sensitivity settings.

Me personally...I switch to semi auto sensitivity.

Well let me ask this... which came first the chicken or the egg... what i mean is is the smartscreen updated based on the tone? If so i think we could agree the tone changes somewhat by looking at the bounce in the screen. Im kind of with you Bryce not every thing sounds the same in the ground as it does in the ground. It could just be my hearing on the weaker tones. I think Andy also said the air test was the same depth youd get in the ground. Not all of us agree with that. Ive tested manual and auto sen. auto tests about 1/2 of the distance using my settings as manual does.... but i cant tell you how often ive tested targets in the ground and auto sounded much like manual. Now for settings.... ive used the DFX for many years and there is a TRUE need for those shared programs simply because there are way too many adjustments that can be made. I think the best programs ive seen that many of us use are those of Tony Hunt or Des, and the ones in Andy's books. Anything beyond that id say its what works once it CLICKS for you.

Dew

Thanks Btyce, Mic

I think Dewcon said it pretty good in the end of his post, but I will say it my way. The Whites machines have way too many things to adjust compared to the Explorer. When I had a Whites, I spent tons of time tweaking the machine trying to get more depth - it became a second hobby! Heck, I thought about giving up finding things and just have more fun adjusting my machine! With the Explorer I have it setup the way I like, and I may change the sensitivity, gain or a filter, but that is about it.

Grunt, you sound like a Whites user, you decide... I haven't run through this for a while, so I may miss something. Here is the way most folks use their Explorer,
1. Manual sensitivity set as high as possible with the machine still running smooth
2. Iron mask with about an eighth of an inch of the iron (left side) discriminated out
3. Conductive tones (this is the preset)
4. Gain at 7 or 8
5. Pick a filter Fast or Deep or Both (I like fast on)
6. Everything else at preset value

I can't think of anything else... this is why we do not have a list of "Programs" for the Explorer. It is very simple, and it goes deep even in factory preset!

Sure folks run things at different settings. For one, some folks like to run real high gain like 9. A high gain will make shallow and deep targets both sound like they are laying on top of the ground. I think you get more iron false signals that way too. Personally I like a gain of 7-ish. That will give me a quiet sound for deep targets and loud for shallow - it is a user preference.

There are different sounds and junk like that, I figured I needed to learn the machine without changing things like sounds - never really wanted different sounds, but the option is there. It would be confusing to a beginner to be switching those around.

A lot of folks like running all metal with ferrous sounds. I do that when hunting iron infested fields. The "Program" = Set iron mask to none, set tones to Ferrous.

Hope this helps and HH - BF

Im one of those that run gain at 9 instead of 7. I still get modulation on those deep coins so i know they are deep. What ive found thou it could just be the need for a better pair of headphones also i run manual sensitivity at 24. I think a good many who run 7 gain up their sensitivity to say 26 or above. Seems to be same same. I do run conductive and 24 IM still keeps the iron bounce down which you quickly learn the sound of. Im one of those that dont run fast or deep on because i just dont move very quickly in trash. Threshold tone may make a difference for you as well. I have mine set at 8... but 5 sounds alot like the Whites machine.... 10 gives an tone that sounds like you are in a barrow.... but a bit longer and better seperated. Those items Big Fang listed seem to be the ones most people may very. Try and learn the smartscreen... it really will make the biggest difference in your finds.

Dew

Thanks BigFang, real good advise thats on point and easy to understand. You're right i was forced into being
a Whites man by a bad shoulder. I don't need to bring up the weight difference between the two machines.Most
already know it.However i would much rather swing the Exll. I can only swing for short periods of time so i was
asking about programs to try and get the best out of the Ex in the limited time i can swing. Thanks again for
the concise info.

Get a Swingy Thingy and weight won't be an issue. Might take a bit of time to get used to it, but if it'll double or triple you hunt time it may well be worth the learning curve. I started out the first day with one so I had no learning curve. Didn't have to change from a method I had already ingrained. Jim

You are welcome! Like Grumpyolman said get the swingy thingy. I have one that I used when my shoulder was sore and when using heavy coils. It takes a bit of getting use to but really helps the arm. See the bottom banner at the top of the forum page, Doc's Swingy Thingy. Well worth the bucks. Don't hesitate to ask about any settings that you may have a question. Folks on here are very helpful.
HH - BF