Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

JW FISHERS vs DUAL FIELD

vernt

Is anyone able to comment on the comparison between the Whites Dual Field and JW Fishers 8x with the 7 1/2 " coil?
Curious. Thanks.

vernt
[/pre]

About 25 years ago, JW Fishers lost interest in PI's, they had engineering expertise in sidescan sonar and plowed that field instead. Easy choice to make.

About that same time, White's got interested in PI and came out with the red thing in the cylindrical housing, I forget what they called it. Between the White's and the JW Fishers, it was an easy choice. The JW Fishers was a bit "hotter", but almost unusable, whereas the White's was a very well thought out product.

Several years later I had to race the protype Fisher Research Lab (not JW Fishers!) Impulse against the newfangled White's autotune and differently packaged PI. In the wet salt. The Impulse had problems, but the newfangled Whites' was completely unusuable due to the "autotune". It stanked in the surf.

Fisher no longer makes the Impulse. Even though it was my baby I have no desire to bring it back, the CZ-21 is a vastly superior non-PI product. Meanwhile, nothing I've heard regarding White's beach & scuba PI's these days makes me think they're superior to that first White's PI. And the JW Fisher PI's? Back in the stone age they were relevant, that was then and this is now. In saying so, I'm not grinding a personal axe against JW Fisher, I've always respected them. I'm just reporting a bit of metal detector history that explains how we got to where we're at now.

--Dave J.

My 2c... JW Fishers is built like a tank and can easily be run over by a car again and again, but its performance is mundane at best. The Dual Field will beat it rather handily, just don't run over it with a car.