Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kaput !

TomNH

Anyone know the symptoms of a bad coil ?

My symptom is everything works normal but nothing gets detected. I can hear the buzz, work all the menus.
Did a reset no joy. There is also a long vertical line about mid display & no coin-ring-cap etc icons.
It ran fine last week but was dead today.

HH
Tom in NH
LFOD !

Hmmm Tom looks like it will have to be sent for repairs they still sell the Safari so your in luck give them a call.

I'd take a look at the control panel first to see if anything foreign i.e. dampness or dirt etc; is on it before I call it quits on the detector. Make sure there is no corrosion on the soldered wire connections and clean it off with a circuit board cleaner. You can get aerosol sprays from an electronics's supply store, and dry it all off. I don't think it's a coil problem if the display is acting up. You could try/borrow another coil to see what comes up on the display. That's disappointing to have that problem. It's not often that you see 2nd hand Safari's for sale and when one comes up, it's usually around $500 or so. Best wishes.

I agree with the others, if you like it and have had success with it, fix it. They don’t still sell the things because they’re junk...and yours might be a relatively inexpensive fix, though it may take some diagnostics to pin down. Electronics are like that...so get crackin’!:)

FIXED !
I was watching Darnell "hello world" Williams dig a peace dollar & my squaw came out with the Safari with full charged
R&B BP. She tried it no joy. I decided to pull it apart & ohm out the coil. To my surprise the control head came right
apart but the coil was unhooked ! Only a few threads involved & somehows it worked loose over the years.

BTW check out Darnells u-tube. He has a nose for silver & his love of MDing really shows through. Really cool cat.
Give him a like & subscribe......

HH
Tom in NH
LFOD !