Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Keep relying on Multi Tone And Meter Detectors.

empty_pockets

If you brouse through Russell Rulau's books you will find that over 95% of the Tokens and Medals listed are a Pot Metal Mixure...Many carry a hefty price tag if found...If you are digging the items in the photo, you will...( ALWAYS )... find the good stuff. To rely on Tones and Meters, oh well...

Uh huh...

I use Tesoros so I learned to understand audio pretty well.
I also use Fishers and came to understand the relationship between audio and screen info pretty well, also.
I also used to dig most everything and found a ton both good and bad but got tired out doing that.
Eventually my patience wore pretty thin doing it that way so I looked for ways to cut out digging so much trash but still find the good stuff.
I now dig about 80% less trash than I used to but my coins, relics, and especially silver and gold jewelry amounts have soared over the amounts found in my digging it all days.
I don't have much problem finding tokens either because I dig targets in all areas from iron on up as long as they come in within some digging rules I set up for myself.
I definitely could miss some stuff by not digging it all but most that have noticed the amount of targets I find and the quality of those targets pretty impressive so in my mind it's a wash.
Everyone is different and enjoys this hobby in different ways.
I would rather spend my time learning my detectors and behavior of my targets so well that I can spend that time digging a greater amount of higher quality targets while digging less trash than ever before so good for me if I am happy with the way I do it and what I find.
If you want to spend your time digging every little bit of metal in sight if that makes you happy then, oh well...good for you and congratulations on all that you find.
To each his own.

By the way....
Here is just one type of metal I found in one year when I actually tried to dig up as much of it as I could in a 12 month time frame.
Most were found in extremely trashy sites, all were found using my rules and digging no more than 15-20% of the trash signals I came across.
Not sure how much every token is worth out there, but I know what this metal is worth.

I'm with Revier on this one. All the time spent digging all that crap is time wasted on not finding GOOD targets. Sure, there's a chance on missing a goody but look at all those chances that weren't goodies.

Yup. 40 years of detecting and the first 30 was spent digging anything that peeped. I've dug far more in the last 10 years using a fair amount of VDI and tones to selectively recover target. My time has become more valuable than in the past.

Southwind said:
Yup. 40 years of detecting and the first 30 was spent digging anything that peeped. I've dug far more in the last 10 years using a fair amount of VDI and tones to selectively recover target. My time has become more valuable than in the past.

Youth is wasted on the young.
We old guys need to find shortcuts.

As one who is rapidly approaching my 75th birthday I do not have the energy left to expend it on digging trash. I dig only those items that give me a steady set of numbers. I still dig a lot of trash but my good target to trash targets dug is very high.

I try to keep one non I.D. Detector in my arsenal just to keep my Tone hearing skills sharp. Its fun if not too trashy.

A year ago I would have given this a big thumbs up.
I spent the last 4 years without a screen. For relics, that works. But I have to say, I became very discouraged when I started mostly park hunting. I was ready to give up the hobby. Junk, junk, penny, etc, etc. occasionally a nice find in between.
I looked to some of the proven and successful jewelry hunters on this forum to see what they were doing and machines they used. Revier and Southwind are 2 of them and I respect their opinions highly.
This year park, school and homestead finds have soared from any other year, all while digging minimal trash. Other than maybe specific site use, I can't see myself buying another beep/dig machine.

There's also this: most beginners use knives and shovels and leave a holey (not holy!) Trail.. Imagine the mess if they were beep-diggers.

only way to learn is to dig targets, then I can make an educated guess via audio and size after digging a heap of stuff , but the only 100% fool proof ID is my eyes.

AJ

As one get's older, you develop many forms of disabilities. Some minor, some major.
Time in the field get's less with each passing year.

Being able to make an educated guess of what is under your coil starts becoming more important.
Makes the little time spent in the field more productive and enjoyable.

I don't pass on many targets, but when I do, I feel most confident I'm not missing anything of real value.
The secret is to know your machine and what it's telling you.

When the VDI type detectors arrived on the market, they made life 500% easier for the user.

Looking at the picture in the first post, and assuming 5 seconds per recovery (which I think is probably VERY LOW!), you've literally wasted HOURS digging all that crap in the HOPES of finding good stuff. Most of us would prefer to rely on our detectors and our brains to find the good stuff.

As Einstein once said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I am amazed at how people cannot exist in life without their smart phone.
They wouldn't think of going back to using a rotary phone, but will handicap themselves with a beep and dig detector for primary use.

Being able to read depth, size, and metal type makes time spent in the field so much more productive.
Makes no sense to me why one would chose to do things the hard way.

And I will match my found gold with anyone's who digs in the dirt.

I personally prefer the Tesoro line. When I use my 3D modified Tesoros I feel I have the both of both worlds. I can run the machine with normal discrimation set low and dig most everything. Or use my discrete 3D settings and miss 80% of the trash and still dig most of the goodies including the small gold rings.

I hate Tones, don't like VCO, never found meters to be very reliable and I don't own a cell phone.

But to each his own - use the equipment that works best for you.

what ever works isn't that the saying :biggrin:

when I cant get down to recover a target I go home , I use metered machines and always will they have a place in my hunting style, but most days I am beep digging around home if I travel and need to maximize my time and hunt for exactly what I am looking for I grab a screen but make no mistake if I don't dig everything I am leaving good stuff behind

when they make one that tells me its gold :bouncy:

AJ