Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kelly co customer service

bsa70

I have a working ecal I would like to send in for a tune up and seal replacement. What exactly will the Kelly co minelab service department do to the excal and do you have any experience with them.

I'm a little concerned due to their main tech passing away.

Thanks!

Your best bet is to call the repair facility at Kellyco and discuss your machine with them. That way you can know what they will be doing and the charges. Also they will know what you want done. From what I have read the control shaft seals should be replaces every two to three years.

If you send hem your machine include a letter detailing exactly what you want done. Also by communicating with them directly you can find out the approximate amount of time that you can expect them to have your machine.

Ok I have to ask..... can they actually do a tune up? I know they can change a coil..... but what adjustments can they do to the board?

bsa70, after/if you call KC, please post here the estimate of how long it will take them. I would like to get the OBN mods done but also am leary of sending my Excal in until Barry's successor has had time to work out the kinks.

The did ok for me I guess. I dealt with Marty. Quoted me 1.5 hours but charged me 2.5. Prices are as follows. Switches are $10ea. Seal kit is $8. Labor is 1hr or $75 for the switch replacement and .5 hour more for installing new seals. The also told me they "fixed" my coil. I asked what they did and she said the epoxyed the mounting ears. They were worn but I told Marty that I was changing the cool when I got it back. I get it back and the coil wasn't touched. Also said that they threw in a new ear pad. Again I told him I was modding the headphones. No new pad on the headphones. Was just like I sent it to them. I'm assuming everything else is ok. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

dewcon4414 said:
Ok I have to ask..... can they actually do a tune up? I know they can change a coil..... but what adjustments can they do to the board?

They can do repairs on issues detector is having, change pots that are bad, fix traces on motherboard that are bad but i wouldn't call that a tune up... There is no actual "tuneup" other than replacing the seals...... Seals should be changed every few years to insure the controls are water proof, also when seals dry out they can lead to over turning the pots which breaks them and can tear the traces on the motherboard...

Inspecting the control housing for cracks or signs of leakage is very important, the collars around the pots the knobs attach to should be checked for cracks, there are 2 o-rings on each pot, if a crack goes below the lower o-ring it will leak if put under water and salt water will get to the motherboard......

Don't criticize customer service based over the last 5 months.Barry suddenly passed and his brother Dave took a short sabbatical understandably. Dave who is senior management came back and started working as a tech 12 hour days 7 days a week to get things caught up. I just got my 2 Excals back since Jan for pinpoint mods. I've talked with them both in Jan and with Marty and Dave since.

No one is more conscientious than Dave.

ROBOCOP

Sent a recently purchased used Excal II into KC for service. It was sold to me with the understanding from the seller that it just needed a threshold issue repaired (maybe $100 or so). Talked to Marty @ KC and he and Dave worked on the unit for a few days to replace the motherboard which had been butchered, cracked case, O-rings etc and they made it like new. They charged me a fair price considering the work completed, included a warranty on the work performed and had the unit back to me in less than a week (FedEx overnight). I can only say good things about the service department @ KC.

Maybe now the seller will consider splitting the repair costs with me...

penzfan said:
Sent a recently purchased used Excal II into KC for service. It was sold to me with the understanding from the seller that it just needed a threshold issue repaired (maybe $100 or so). Talked to Marty @ KC and he and Dave worked on the unit for a few days to replace the motherboard which had been butchered, cracked case, O-rings etc and they made it like new. They charged me a fair price considering the work completed, included a warranty on the work performed and had the unit back to me in less than a week (FedEx overnight). I can only say good things about the service department @ KC.

Maybe now the seller will consider splitting the repair costs with me...

Sounds like fraud to me. How do you crack a motherboard without digging into the unit?
Name him publically- especially if he wont shoulder the cost of the misrepresented detector.

Sounds like it had been run over by a truck! Kudos to Kellyco. They'll be getting my Excal. some time this winter. It's in dire need of a PP/headphone mod.