Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Key Date 1912s Liberty Nickle found

robez509

Evening All,

Wife and her Gold Bug Pro2 made a significant find at old hunted out park.
She hunts primarily for gold, although she gets occasional silver and some clad, and digs everything.

Today we went out and concentrated on the park edges, something we don't normally do, but pickings are getting slim, so we gave it a shot.

I had the XP Deus on the BottleCap program, mostly picking up clad and a couple Wheaties in same hole.

This is maybe her 10th V nickle ever, I have found only a couple.

The 1912s was found about 5-6 inches deep, the coin is a bit toasty from 100 years in the ground, lightly cleaned with soapy water.
Still has lots of detail will add to our coin book for ever.

Trying to see what she'll take in trade for it, no luck yet. :drool:

Good luck all and happy hunting!!

Congrats on the V. I love finding those. I found an 1894 in a hunted out park yesterday. Yours has much better detail than mine. Mine was browned out.

Looks to have very nice detail , I have never found a V nickel ,but I'm still looking...:detecting:
Congratz.

Congrats on your 1912 V nickel fantastic find & has great detail and thanks for sharing your pictures & story with all of us. Wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

Terrific coin, congratulations! But you have to admit that is a crazy place to put a mint Mark.
I had to pull out a Red Book because it is so small it is easily missed

Thanks all for the nice comments.

I am noticing many of the coins we find in this area are from the San Francisco Mint, seems the ground is like a time capsule for coins, except for the corrosion over time.

Here's a couple other key dates we have found last 2 years.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Wow, that's one you don't see very often - the key date of the V nickels. And with great details. Congrats.

Those are some fantastic key date coins you've found! :thumbup:

That 1931 S Wheat could use a few hours in a tumbler and come out looking close to normal - I do this with all the early Wheats and Indians and it really gets rid of the dull, lifeless look without affecting the coin's value. IN most cases this process will actually make the coin more presentable, I have before and after pictures of some recent coins to prove it. No disappointments from tumbling to date!

NIckels are a little harder, but I use the same tumbling media (small lengths of solid copper electrical wire). Found a 1916 Buff recently (no double die, maybe next time :rolleyes:) and tumbled it for a day - then tumbled my 1915 Buffalo nickel the next day and both were looking much better.

1912 S V nickel is on my bucket list though!

Thanks Cz,
I'm a little unsure about tumbling certain coins, but if you've had success, I'll give it a shot.

I know much of the monetary value is lost from coins recovered from the ground, but the thrill of finding them is reward enough.

Thanks to many of your posts on the XP Deus, is how I have had some success with this great machine.

If you have time I would like to see pics of your tumbled coins.

Good luck and happy hunting.

That's a great find.

Rich

Congrats on some nice finds!